Haha road/place names?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
:eek:
1629454644207.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...c3f0b93fc31249a!8m2!3d53.2730678!4d-0.6653051

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To save you having to click: This cyclist rode 4,000km from Poo Poo Point to Pee Pee Creek

Poo Poo Point makes me think of this place on the south shore of Olosjärvi, near Muonio in Finland. N 67° 57' 42.693" E 23° 50' 23.748"
1630575121624.png

Paskalahti could politely be translated as Poopoo Bay. Not quite creek but not far off.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
Reminds me of a story of a planning application that was made to Argyll council for a new-build house on the edge of a loch. The (non-gaelic-speaking) applicants had named the house something like "Tigh na batan", which they thought meant "The Boat House". However, the Gaelic speaking planning committee asked if they meant "Tigh na bhàta", or whether they really intended to call the building "The House of the Penis".

Similar story - https://www.scotsman.com/news/bute-renamed-penis-island-gaelic-sign-blunder-1496926

IaninSheffield

Veteran
We have one of these near here:
20211024_074756.jpg
Letsby Avenue? Next to a police operations unit? Yeah, right.
I checked on OSM:
20211024_075522.jpg
So I cycled out there to check, and if present, grab a photo of the road name. Erm, no.
Letsby Ave doesn't actually exist here and it's actually just part of the Europa Way network. I suspect it's an artefact created by some wag who knows you can suggest corrections to Google maps, or correct OSM data yourself.
Sadly, the schoolboy in me chuckles too much at the jape to not want to point out the error. Yes, I am that shallow.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I checked on OSM:
So I cycled out there to check, and if present, grab a photo of the road name. Erm, no.
Letsby Ave doesn't actually exist here and it's actually just part of the Europa Way network. I suspect it's an artefact created by some wag who knows you can suggest corrections to Google maps, or correct OSM data yourself.
Sadly, the schoolboy in me chuckles too much at the jape to not want to point out the error. Yes, I am that shallow.
The original was indeed signed 'Letsby Avenue' when the main nick was on Attercliffe Common in front of where the old Don Valley stadium was.I have a photo somewhere.This was back in the 1990s.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- and then of course we have Sodom, Wiltshire (SN15 4JA)

I checked on OSM:
Well, it was in the Sheffield Star as recently as last year and on page one of this thread as recently as 21st June 2020 :whistle: (Do we still do TMNs?)

Top Bottom