Hahahahahahhahha!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are some safe and courteous drivers still left. I always do my bit for driver-cyclist relations and give them a cheery wave, which is a nice bit of feel-good.
I do that too and most acknowledge me back.

What I also find myself doing is saying thank you to drivers at roundabouts ahead on my left who give way to me. Then I find myself wondering why I thank somebody for just doing what they are legally obliged to do ... :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
I know, its a moral quandry! I also wave at folk who've waited patiently behind me for a chance to overtake rather than squeezing through. My take on it is that, yes, they're only doing what they should, but a friendly wave from the handsome cyclist might be enough to make them do it again next time.

Tiger10

Über Member
Several drivers (and/or their passengers) shouted abuse at us on Saturday for riding two abreast on roads with very little traffic on them and plenty of room to overtake. I commented that we were taking up less road space than a tractor and were going along the road at a reasonable speed. No way would they be abusing a farmer just for driving down the road. They simply didn't like us being there, despite us actually being less of a nuisance than a slow-moving vehicle.

You must be kidding, people hate farmers on the road nearly as much as bloody cyclist's. They try to under/overtake just the same but on at least 3 occasions they found out the real difference between a large tractor and 18 ton trailer and a cyclist the hard way .

D

Deleted member 1258

There are some safe and courteous drivers still left. I always do my bit for driver-cyclist relations and give them a cheery wave, which is a nice bit of feel-good.

I do the same, I always hope if I spread the good Karma I'll get some back.

shirokazan

Veteran
I remarked to someone recently...
Yep, you said it to me the other Sunday.

...I always do my bit for driver-cyclist relations and give them a cheery wave, which is a nice bit of feel-good.
I also wave at folk who've waited patiently behind me for a chance to overtake rather than squeezing through. My take on it is that, yes, they're only doing what they should, but a friendly wave from the handsome cyclist might be enough to make them do it again next time.
I do the same. Like to think it might just encourage the motorists to repeat the good behaviour.

presta

Guru
I remarked to someone recently that the excessively kind, courteous drivers who wait longer than necessary to overtake me make me nervous because they create a backlog of traffic and someone a few cars further back almost inevitably gets impatient and then does a lengthy, unsafe overtake!
There's a roundabout near me where I've had more near misses than everywhere else put together. One day a woman patiently followed me round it, and then when I signalled left to leave it she suddenly put her foot down and overtook me on the left. Presumably she decided she didn't want to follow me up the road as well after she realised I was using the same exit as her.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a roundabout near me where I've had more near misses than everywhere else put together. One day a woman patiently followed me round it, and then when I signalled left to leave it she suddenly put her foot down and overtook me on the left. Presumably she decided she didn't want to follow me up the road as well after she realised I was using the same exit as her.
Yikes! :eek:

I have stopped signalling left to drivers coming up behind me because I think it encourages a rushed overtake and 'left hook'. I do signal to drivers ahead of me waiting to emerge from any road that I will be turning down.

presta

Guru
Yikes! :eek:

I have stopped signalling left to drivers coming up behind me because I think it encourages a rushed overtake and 'left hook'. I do signal to drivers ahead of me waiting to emerge from any road that I will be turning down.
The other one I've noticed is looking over your shoulder. Someone will follow you patiently for ages, but if you glance over your shoulder they seem to take it as an invitation to overtake even if it's not appropriate.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think if you are riding to work at the same time as other traffic. You deserve all you get. At 5am in deepest Denmark all I see is deer. And they are trouble enough.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The other one I've noticed is looking over your shoulder. Someone will follow you patiently for ages, but if you glance over your shoulder they seem to take it as an invitation to overtake even if it's not appropriate.

I've noticed this too, which is why I now use mirrors instead - ones that I have fettled to fit both the Single Speed and geared GT

presta

Guru
I've noticed this too, which is why I now use mirrors instead - ones that I have fettled to fit both the Single Speed and geared GT
I've long fancied getting a mirror but I've always been put off because I like to lean the bike on the right side when I park it. The other option is the one that fits on your glasses.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I think if you are riding to work at the same time as other traffic. You deserve all you get. At 5am in deepest Denmark all I see is deer. And they are trouble enough.

What?

That anyone who has the effrontery to, oh I don't know, actually cycle to work, is fair game for all manner of abuse? I'm quite happy to be courteous to anyone else. After all, it's only a few seconds to let someone out. What is completely unacceptable is dangerous or bullying behaviour. Frankly, anyone with that sort of entitled attitude doesn't belong on the roads on any vehicle, be it bike or car.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've long fancied getting a mirror but I've always been put off because I like to lean the bike on the right side when I park it. The other option is the one that fits on your glasses.

That's how I kept breaking mine, or if the bike fell over - plus I was forever clipping them on the stupid amount of control gates in the cycle routes around here.

The ones I have fettled - I used some cheap extender bars from ebay (meant for lights) and altered them so they are attached to the handlebars inboard of the grips (and shifter on the GT) but protrude downwards and outwards (just short of the end of the bar).

So basically, the mirror is below and inboard of my right hand, but not so far as my arm covers it, or that it get's hit

I shall take pics to show you later

Edit - actually I have some - here are both bikes with the mirrors on (see if you can spot them) plus what I made them out of (the mirror is a Zefal)

376752-daea9ec7187ccb6f013a894ce67918c2.jpg
IMG_2678.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Top Bottom