Half a million cyclists every day in London.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benguin

"So why in the name of reach-around doggie-style bouncing boobs do they have a French personn who isn't even English from the french equivelent of the AA say"

Fairly new here, but I have to say your posts amuse only for a (short) while. In fact, this would be funnier were it not so sad, ridiculously misconstrued, badly written and strangely skewed.

As regards a French personn (sic) not being even English', yes, I find that to be most often the case. Pondering my non-Englishness makes me cry pretty much every night, before falling asleep in the arms of my English (redeeming) wife.

Back to cycling, and school for some,

ben

OP
OP
S

spindrift

they've got form for this, there's the legendary Edmund King of the AA in the UK who was wheeled out to suggest the complete segregation of cyclists on the roads.

No really:

But cyclists wonder whether the new 'bicycle motorways' could be the start of enforced segregation.

In The Guardian, Edmund King, president of the AA, said: "I think separating out cyclists can only be good for everyone and the only provision I would raise is that we still need to have roads for the movement of trucks, cars and buses - so we need to make sure we get the balance right."

King is pro-car, naturally, but he's also an urban realist: he rides a Brompton.

Reckless stupidity.

I don't want to be "segregated" off the roads.

LLB

spindrift said:
they've got form for this, there's the legendary Edmund King of the AA in the UK who was wheeled out to suggest the complete segregation of cyclists on the roads.

No really:

But cyclists wonder whether the new 'bicycle motorways' could be the start of enforced segregation.

In The Guardian, Edmund King, president of the AA, said: "I think separating out cyclists can only be good for everyone and the only provision I would raise is that we still need to have roads for the movement of trucks, cars and buses - so we need to make sure we get the balance right."

King is pro-car, naturally, but he's also an urban realist: he rides a Brompton.

Reckless stupidity.

I don't want to be "segregated" off the roads.

So why so vocal for excluding motorcycles from Bus lanes if you are so in favour of integration?

OP
OP
S

spindrift

There are two schools of thought: Segregated lanes or shared road space. Total segregation simply will not occur: It's too expensive, politically vote-losing and not good for raising tax revenue. So we cyclists are stuck with sharing roads with cars. Ergo, we train people to share roads: This is most easily done with cyclists because you can teach kids to cycle well when they are young and receptive to tuition. Car drivers are a much more difficult proposition. The driving test needs to be incredibly more difficult to pass, and should include riding a bike through traffic (and using motorways). The issue needs to witness a sea-change in attitudes. Mostly from car drivers, and to a lesser degree, from we cyclists.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

I think I have mentioned the little stretch of eastbound road from Bank to Aldgate before, Cornhill I think it is called, and it is a route where you have all the horrors of London's roads in one. It's my favourite, of course. Clapped-out and peeling "cycle lane" lines, painted on hideously pitted, broken and uneven surfaces; numerous slippery and terrifying and just adequately-to-send-you-into-a-skid sunken manhole covers; pedestrians bless who think the cycle lane is somewhere for them to leap into whilst crossing the road and/or chatting at their mobiles; vans and taxis parked in the "cycle lanes" to the utter indifference of the "anti-terrorist police" standing "guard" around there, claiming they are too busy to care; a mediaeval style street pattern that shunts cyclists into the gutter yet lets vehicle drivers drive with abandon...
If anyone else knows a better stretch can we have a little competition?

Top Bottom