Half decent bar tape!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peugeotrider

What brand is half decent?
Bought tape on eBay and Matt,foamy crap is how I'd describe it!
I'm after a shiny black leather look tape for a fair price...10 -15 pound kinda budget.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fizik classic...job done (microtex not soft touch)

si_c

Guru
Depends what you are after. Cinelli Cork tape is good, but I'm not a big fan of cork tapes when they are wet.

My current bartape is Supercaz Sticky Cush, which it's very comfortable and very good in the wet, about comparable to 2.3mm DSP Lizardskins in thickness. My go to though is 1.8mm DSP Lizardskins tape, it's fantastic in the wet (and when I was commuting daily in all weathers this was a huge consideration) and I've found that once wrapped properly it lasts really well.

At your budget, I'd go for the Cinelli, or Fizik if you can get it on offer, but I think it worth going for the premium tape options because you spend your entire ride holding on to them and in the grand scheme of things aren't too expensive.

Edit to add I'd go for the Fizik soft touch over the microtex, I'm not a fan of the texture of the latter or of similar tapes like BBB speed ribbon.

T4tomo

Guru
Deda mistral is good, I used some of that recently on my gravel bike, and in your budget on Wiggle. wraps nicely and looks really good

I have just done a vintage bike in Spa cycles real leather tape which is wonderful and on offer, but still £26, but worth it for the smell alone

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just bought some Pro bar tape for £20 - not fitted yet, but to go on the best bike. Also got Planet X's Holdsworth branded one that has partial 'perforations' and looks quite classic. It's comfy and good value - fitted to my Ribble.

OP
OP
Peugeotrider

Peugeotrider

I recall years ago Ambrosio was the tape of choice.
It wasn't a soft touch tape,leather look,perforated which is what I'm after in black but... doesn't look like Ambrosio are about these days.
Really hate soft foamy tape..not for me

Punkawallah

Über Member
I can vouch for Wilkinson’s own make. Still in place after 18 months and one coast to coast.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is the Holdsworth one on my bike.

Top Bottom