Halfords, a let down in the motoring world as well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Technically it's an MOT failure if your tpms is lit on the dash.
I replaced fronts a couple years ago and they immediately told me a valve was leaking (it was). I wasnt prepared, so suggested they fit normal valves which they happily did...but it left my warning light on, an MOT fail so I had to have the tyres off again later to refit new valves. It's a right faff you can avoid by having some spares ready.

Smudge

Veteran
Technically it's an MOT failure if your tpms is lit on the dash.
I replaced fronts a couple years ago and they immediately told me a valve was leaking (it was). I wasnt prepared, so suggested they fit normal valves which they happily did...but it left my warning light on, an MOT fail so I had to have the tyres off again later to refit new valves. It's a right faff you can avoid by having some spares ready.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a simple fix to turn those warning lights off..... much the same as getting rid of the service due warning alert that i did.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Sadly not, when I researched it, it seemed there was no way, it's in the cars computer. It's also a legal requirement in cars after a certain year so youd be invalidating your insurance I suspect, over riding safety equipment.

Smudge

Veteran
Sadly not, when I researched it, it seemed there was no way, it's in the cars computer. It's also a legal requirement in cars after a certain year so youd be invalidating your insurance I suspect, over riding safety equipment.

Anything that's in the cars computer can be disabled or changed in some way..... by someone that has the know how.

Drago

Legendary Member
It might, but I'd proceed with caution. If the car is full CANBUS its liable to throw up and error, and sods law says that as it's a chassis system and not an engine related error then its dealer only (or keen enthusiast with a chinese knock off of the dealer kit, like the fake Mercedes Star gear I use on the Smart) job to clear it. Kerching!

Smudge

Veteran
It might, but I'd proceed with caution. If the car is full CANBUS its liable to throw up and error, and sods law says that as it's a chassis system and not an engine related error then its dealer only (or keen enthusiast with a chinese knock off of the dealer kit, like the fake Mercedes Star gear I use on the Smart) job to clear it. Kerching!

I dont have an issue with the TPMS on my car, yet. But its probably only a matter of time.
When the time comes that i do have a prob with it, i shall look at ways at getting rid of this system and the associated warning icons altogether. Its yet another thing on cars that has been made complicated with electronic gizmos.
They even have this TPMS on BMW motorcycles now, though thankfully not on the Jap bikes i currently ride.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D's new motor has iTPMS, which is allegedly far more reliable and is the one the industry are slowly moving to. It's just an extra bit of software that monitors the ABS sensors, and is able to tell when a boot starts to deflate as the changes in apparent diameter are detected as the bottom of the tyre starts to flatten out.

Mrs D's recently departed Kia Spurtage had the wheel sensors, and that lying heap of crap was forever telling us tyres were deflating when they weren't. Just one of many faults the car had. Kia's poor excuses for technicians had no luck fixing it, so in the end I ignored it as I check my boots every week anyway. Now, that's that worrying - if a less diligent owner (which is most of them) gets fed up with the false activations and starts to ignore them then there's a real danger they'll ignore a real one too. Really not at all sad to see the back of that car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son's car has the ABS linked TPMS system, and it tells you how to reset it (will still come on if you have a flat), but that seems the most reliable, and least costly system as it's already part of the car. A flat tyre will rotate faster than an inflated one - fairly easy for the ABS system to pick up the difference from the ABS rings - just like it can pick up a tiny crack in an ABS ring as it sends a faulty signal at higher speeds, as it detects a 'tooth' gap that is slightly too large due to the crack.

Top Bottom