Halfords and the reverse fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its not only Halfords that have problems, Some of the staff in a major cycling retailer in our town. It would seem some of there staff are somewhat lacking when one asks questions and advise.
I sometimes wonder why people don't use their local LBS if they still have one, I think for some non Cyclist it might be the perception that the LBS is for the expert cyclist, and the novice does not want to make a fool of themselves with their lack of Knowledge, whereas in Halfords and other outlets that are in the main not cycling outlets, peeps can browse and get an idea as to what they think would suit them without embarrassing themselves with their lack of knowledge.

annirak

Veteran
I sometimes wonder why people don't use their local LBS if they still have one.

I've had service done at two LBS's in my area. The first one failed to true my wheels, and set up V-brakes so tight that I couldn't use the quick-release. The second failed to point out a worn chain and cassette, failed to replace a set of nearly worn out brake pads after commenting that the brakes looked worn. They also charged me £55 for a wheel that goes for £25 elsewhere. They did degrease my chain, but they didn't re-lube it properly, so the next time I rode it in the wet, my chain started rusting badly.

I'm moving more and more to doing my own service. I don't own all the tools I need to bike service yet, but buying the tools to do the job is less than the cost of service plus the price difference of the parts.

Don't get me wrong, I like LBS's, but if they're not going to treat me well, I'll stop shopping there.

Philjack

Regular
Its not only Halfords that have problems, Some of the staff in a major cycling retailer in our town. It would seem some of there staff are somewhat lacking when one asks questions and advise.
I sometimes wonder why people don't use their local LBS if they still have one, I think for some non Cyclist it might be the perception that the LBS is for the expert cyclist, and the novice does not want to make a fool of themselves with their lack of Knowledge, whereas in Halfords and other outlets that are in the main not cycling outlets, peeps can browse and get an idea as to what they think would suit them without embarrassing themselves with their lack of knowledge.
Exactly why I went to halfords!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I reckon damage is unlikely, assuming none is apparent.

A few days ago I saw a new mountain bike in Halfords with the stem pointing downwards.

Fine if that's what the customer wants, but the bike was built for showroom display.

I say 'built', it was clearly thrown together by someone who knows nothing about bikes.

We all have to learn, but at the very least the work should have been checked.

Crass assembly errors continue to dog Halfords, although some branches appear to know what they are doing.
Was it a 29er?

I sometimes see this one at work, but not found out who owns it yet, ie; one of 'us' (the NHS), or one of 'the dark side' (the PFI company that own the building)

it's from a couple of years ago, as that's the Ritchey stem of my old Dyna-Tech, peeking into the bottom of the frame,
(retired it from commuter duties, in June 2013)

Cycling. 2012. What The!.JPG

gbb

Legendary Member
Asda in Peterborough currecntly have a £150 racer in their entrance...with reversed forks.
I keep meaning to point it out, then think, no..its just been chucked there out of the box for display, once they sell it, they'll build it properly. Then i think...no, people will assume that's correct. I'm going there tonight...i'm gonna tell them.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just take an allen wrench to work and fix it for them :laugh:
In my old company, i used to occasionally oil peoples chains if they were really rusty, it used to annoy the hell out of me :laugh:.
One girl used to come in on a BMX, it sat there forlornly punctured one morning....so i fixed it. Never did tell her (i don't think she spoke much English anyway). I visuallised her going back to her bike that night....:huh::wacko:...i coulda sworn....

Halfords did exactly the same thing to my son's bike. When I took it back the lad tried to belittle me by joking how did I manage that. Wasn't so funny when I told him it was built by them in store. Useless tw@s.

annirak

Veteran
In my old company, i used to occasionally oil peoples chains if they were really rusty, it used to annoy the hell out of me :laugh:.
One girl used to come in on a BMX, it sat there forlornly punctured one morning....so i fixed it. Never did tell her (i don't think she spoke much English anyway). I visuallised her going back to her bike that night....:huh::wacko:...i coulda sworn....
That's awesome! When I pass people on the way to work, I tend to tell them if their tyres are flat. I haven't started oiling peoples' chains yet, but now I want to!

Reactions: gbb

itchybeard

I did order some Swalbe Marathons plus last week, still awaiting delivery from store pick up.
A had my paper order, it said 700c x 38c, he came out with two tyres saying he found them BUT one was 700c x 25c (not marathon) and the other 700c x 35c (but not marathon's), both completely different...
I gave him a break, he was young and new.
I have re-ordered and hope they will come in before 10 days time before i ride around France!
They are costing £41 for both so not bad price...

screenman

Legendary Member
I did order some Swalbe Marathons plus last week, still awaiting delivery from store pick up.
A had my paper order, it said 700c x 38c, he came out with two tyres saying he found them BUT one was 700c x 25c (not marathon) and the other 700c x 35c (but not marathon's), both completely different...
I gave him a break, he was young and new.
I have re-ordered and hope they will come in before 10 days time before i ride around France!
They are costing £41 for both so not bad price...

You may want to give him a break, but certainly not the stupid management that let an unskilled untrained person deal with customers.

Top Bottom