Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Because it saved him £205 pounds. Originally they offered to fix the bike for £430. Now it's down to £225.

Ah, didn't read that bit :-)

Cyclist33

Lol, the jammy get - I still hold that he blatantly didn't index the gears and set the limiting screws and the chain fell into the wheel. Muppet.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Lol, the jammy get - I still hold that he blatantly didn't index the gears and set the limiting screws and the chain fell into the wheel. Muppet.
Just to balance this, I've had three bikes recently, boxed, that needed basic bits bolting on, probably just like the OP and neither have required any major adjustments apart from a couple of clicks on the cable tension to the rear derallier. They have all been pretty well set up from the factory. I don't see why the Boardman would be any different.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just to balance this, I've had three bikes recently, boxed, that needed basic bits bolting on, probably just like the OP and neither have required any major adjustments apart from a couple of clicks on the cable tension to the rear derallier. They have all been pretty well set up from the factory. I don't see why the Boardman would be any different.

Still a good idea to double check though.

Cyclist33

Still a good idea to double check though.

Did the boxed bikes include a PDI note or not? My assumption (just an assumption it's true) was that if you buy a boxed bike from Halfords they literally wheel the box out of the stockroom and hand it over. No PDI. Whereas for eg when I bought a mail order bike through my erstwhile LBS in Sheffield, they unboxed then built the bike, PDI'ed it and then part-disassembled to re-pack.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Did the boxed bikes include a PDI note or not? My assumption (just an assumption it's true) was that if you buy a boxed bike from Halfords they literally wheel the box out of the stockroom and hand it over. No PDI. Whereas for eg when I bought a mail order bike through my erstwhile LBS in Sheffield, they unboxed then built the bike, PDI'ed it and then part-disassembled to re-pack.
The three bikes I've bought over the last couple of years (two of them kids bikes with gears) have been as boxed from the manufacturer. No pdi or set up, I've built all three which involved pedals, saddle, stem and front wheels and that's it, I think all three had rear wheels already attached and gears set up just requiring fine tuning to cable tension. To be honest I've been very impressed how they've been delivered and protected by packaging during transit, two of the bikes were not even from recognised well regarded sources - Tesco and Argos.
Obviously when building the bikes I have checked other aspects of the bikes not just assuming they are correct.
I guess had my bike (from Argos) had the OP's problem I would have no trouble getting a refund as there is no option for "in house" building - you have to do it yourself or get an LBS to do it for you.

Cyclist33

The three bikes I've bought over the last couple of years (two of them kids bikes with gears) have been as boxed from the manufacturer. No pdi or set up, I've built all three which involved pedals, saddle, stem and front wheels and that's it, I think all three had rear wheels already attached and gears set up just requiring fine tuning to cable tension. To be honest I've been very impressed how they've been delivered and protected by packaging during transit, two of the bikes were not even from recognised well regarded sources - Tesco and Argos.
Obviously when building the bikes I have checked other aspects of the bikes not just assuming they are correct.
I guess had my bike (from Argos) had the OP's problem I would have no trouble getting a refund as there is no option for "in house" building - you have to do it yourself or get an LBS to do it for you.

Test the theory by breaking your Ventura...

I don't know having no experience of the exact scenario.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Test the theory by breaking your Ventura...

I don't know having no experience of the exact scenario.
My only issue is it's only a 1 year warranty, and I've only got 2.5 months left!
I guess the issue here is signing your rights away by building yourself when buying from Halfords, but depending on the source building yourself is quite normal - mail order, internet, ebay etc etc just like any other item you may purchase. If it breaks you just send it back and get your money back or a new item.

Cyclist33

My only issue is it's only a 1 year warranty, and I've only got 2.5 months left!
I guess the issue here is signing your rights away by building yourself when buying from Halfords, but depending on the source building yourself is quite normal - mail order, internet, ebay etc etc just like any other item you may purchase. If it breaks you just send it back and get your money back or a new item.

Perfect - wait two more months then fiddle with the rear limiter screws and hey presto!!

Top Bottom