Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I just like to say something in sympathy to the OP. The last 3 services my folding bike had, there were major, dangerous things left undone. The first two services by people that were unfamiliar with my bike model, they left bolts loose, that could have made the bike fall apart. The 3rd service was done by a shop that knew my bike model well. They didn't leave any bolts untightened, but after replacing chain, derailleur, cassette and back wheel, they never adjusted the hi/lo screws, which could have had disastrous results. So, I started maintaining it myself. There was a fault that I was aware of, but decided was ok. It wasn't. The bike folded on me while riding it, I've broken my clavicle and it's probably going to require surgical intervention. It's no one's fault but mine. It's true that all of the other maintenance errors could have lead to the same result, but they didn't. I'd rather have destroyed a £1000 bike, than done this too myself, but here I am, broken. and no amount money will get me back the way I was, with out a scar or two and at least 6 weeks rest.

You are probably going to have to write this off to experience. At least you weren't (badly?) injured in the failure.
GWS

Learnincurve

We need to create some sort of halfords ratings map.

Chesterfield, there was a guy there who knew his stuff, now it's awful. My strava has me queuing for 30 mins to buy a pump.

RhythMick

Über Member
This is a useful lesson and thanks to the OP and contributors. I've just ordered an RT-58 with Tiagra from Planet X and was going to immediately swap on my beloved SRAM RED. I'll ride it as is for a while.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 09.17.08.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
[QUOTE 3725255, member: 45"]This wouldn't work.

We had a great cycle mechanic at our local Halfords. He knew exactly what he was doing. He got fed up of putting together kids' bikes, so went to work for British Gas. The next time I went in the store it was rubbish. A bike on display had the front mudguards bolted to the front pannier mounts.[/QUOTE]

+1 to that. My local Halfords in Dewsbury has a good mechanic. But one of the others there hadn't a clue what they were doing when building a bike last week.

J1888

Über Member
Jeez, why would he bother writing to the Graunaid (or any other newspaper for that matter)...

Top Bottom