Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I disagree. Halford, or an LBS for that matter, will claim that but for the customers insistence, the bike would have had a full pre-delivery inspection, all the gears, brakes, etc., thoroughly checked over, limit screws, straightness of gear hangar checked, before being passed over to the customer, had they been allowed to build it up. Given that it is essentially thrown together in a factory in Taiwan. assembled and setup and operating correctly are two completely different things.

And any sensible employer is going to walk away from the issue, as a useless distraction, whilst insisting on the employee continuing with the payments.

I am saying the LBS is liable f they assembled the RD and not the customer. In my post I am asking if OP assembled the drivetrain i.e. RD.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately the OP signed a disclaimer when he took the bike in the box.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Both my Boardmans have been great...
The CX I bought home boxed, and when I collected it I signed a bit of paperwork saying that no liability for the 'build' sat with Halfords. If the rear mech went into the back wheel then its hanger failure, or incorrectly adjusted limits..
I have had 3 bikes from halfords on c2w, 1 boardman and 2 carrera`s all shop built and they all have been spot on , my 1st one lasting about 2 years of all weather riding before i sold it on the fund my excursion into road bikes.
As mentioned in earlier posts the hard part is going to be convincing them that a self built bike with no inspection check is liable under warranty if the parts failed as stated .An independent report might help .
Im not saying its nice but a co worker bought a bike on the same scheme and it was stolen and hes still paying for it so halfords offer might be worth looking at .
As for the small claims court if the OP `s post is word for word the employer should take the matter to small claims court as the owner of the equipment if fault is found which is a matter to take up with HR , although bargepole comes to mind.

Unfortunately the OP signed a disclaimer when he took the bike in the box.

A signed disclaimer is worthless in any form of litigation . The court will want to know if the RD caused the problem and if so who assembled it.

I assuming that the build is only for the wheels, bars, seat which is the usual. If however OP assembled the RD and train, then OP is liable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A signed disclaimer is worthless in any form of litigation . The court will want to know if the RD caused the problem and if so who assembled it.

I assuming that the build is only for the wheels, bars, seat which is the usual. If however OP assembled the RD and train, then OP is liable.
Last bike i bought from halfords was a hybrid for swmbo , took it boxed .
I stuck in wheels, seatpost, handles .
rest was assembled, needed to tune the rear mech though including h/l stops.

Drago

Legendary Member
It couldve been assembled by scientist from the Rand Corporation in their secret Moon Base, it matters not. The OP chose to take it out on its maiden ride with no safety check, knowing that it has not been assembled and set up by a qualified technician.

I'm with Halfords on this one. All bike shops do a safety inspection before letting a bike out of the shop. If you don't let them do that, how can they could stop this occurring? It's almost certainly a build problem, and you took responsibility for that.

The parts may have been attached to the frame when you got it, but if they were attached only for shipping with the assumption they would be properly torqued in the shop, the I also don't see that's Halford's fault.

Edit: I don't expect ever to say "I'm with Halfords on this one" again.

Cyclist33

Not checking the limit screws sounds like what caused it. Mech shifted into spokes.

I take bikes away from store in a box but I have over 30 years experience maintaining my bikes. I never use the LBS.

I bet tomorrow your chain comes off and totals your red speedster .

Cubist

Still wavin'
This is a great example of the forum bollocks spouters being half believed and the "little knowledge being a dangerous thing." People are quick to condemn Halfords, rubbishing their bikes, their mechanics' abilities and building ability. The mantra repeated over and over again is "get a Halfords bike, but don't let them build it for you." In this instance it has gone horribly wrong. The OP has taken it all to heart and taken the responsibility away from the retailer. Fossy et al are right. I'd build the bike myself, I trust my own abilities more than some LBS mechanics from what I've read on here and other forums, but I'd never advise a novice to assemble a bike. Simple they may be to bolt together, but it takes years of experience to put one together ready to ride safely. I think the Halfords deniers owe the OP an apology. Tough lesson to learn.

As for Halfords, well, I went into the Salford branch for an air fresher last week, and three days later the roof blew off my orangery. Pffffft.

Cyclist33

I'm with Halfords on this one too.

It doesn't seem relevant to me what the assembly might have been pre sale. At least half the bikes I've bought have been daftly set up but all but one were done by the shop therefore they would have to accept any cock ups. Although in the event in most cases I just sorted it out myself but that's not the point. If anything had gone immediately wrong the shop would bear the burden. Indee

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
"Halfords in Preston had given the £1,200 bike a full service days before Mrs Percival set off to York, but when she noticed problems on the journey she took it to the Foss Islands branch, which worked on the bike and again gave it the all-clear."
"An independent investigation found there were a number of flaws with the cycle, including some incorrect adjustments and worn parts, which should have been spotted by a mechanic."

The lawyer can advise the OP to sue themselves? :wacko:

Top Bottom