Halfords Cycle care plan opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
It's also the fear of invalidating insurances and warranties.

20 years ago, where I work, if the lights went out we would try and find the cause. Nine times out of ten you'd figure it out and do a repair.

Now, you have to call a company approved electrician and he has to fill out a risk assessment and sign a visitors book before he does the obvious and flicks the circuit breaker from off to on.

Trying to do it yourself could result in the sack.
Tell me about it, the idiots that instigate all this tosh don’t get a move on to fill out work permits, sign you in, make you sit and watch an induction video, all the while the bill is going up by the minute, as for work permits 99.9% of people who fill them in have absolutely no idea what you’re doing and how you’re going to do it, and we wonder why nothing gets done and everything goes over budget

This is an extract taken from the Consumer Rights Act 2015

In England and Wales you have a limit of six years from the date of the breach of contract (the date when the faulty goods were supplied) in which to make a claim against the trader. This works a little differently in Scotland where you have a limit of five years to make a claim, starting from the time you became aware the goods were faulty.
This does not mean that goods have to last the five or six years; it depends on what is reasonable for the type of goods supplied.

One would expect a bike, tv, fridge, etc to last more than a year, hence the reason I never purchase care plans or extended warranties on anything. There's plenty of advice on YouTube on how to look after & service your bike.

Lovacott

Über Member
Tell me about it, the idiots that instigate all this tosh don’t get a move on to fill out work permits, sign you in, make you sit and watch an induction video, all the while the bill is going up by the minute, as for work permits 99.9% of people who fill them in have absolutely no idea what you’re doing and how you’re going to do it, and we wonder why nothing gets done and everything goes over budget
I spent 7 years in Australia working in resources and you couldn't take a piss unless you were trained and qualified to do so.

That really hurt.

brucers

Guru
Although I do not doubt they are right, the name of this game is polite hassle. I would go higher up, even find an email of a director. Look for some goodwill etc. As regards the new bike, is there any scope for returning it, like a cooling off period or whatever?

DRM

Guru
I spent 7 years in Australia working in resources and you couldn't take a piss unless you were trained and qualified to do so.

That really hurt.
Was at one site where the induction video wouldn’t play, the security guard had given me the multiple guess sheet which was to accompany the video, I asked him where is the fire muster point, in the car park by the gate, says he, I gave him the sheet of questions filled in and answered correctly, the fire point being the one I couldn’t have known, he was astounded having not seen the company’s award winning video, this was a Wednesday and would have been the 9th one I’d have had to endure that week up to that point!

Lovacott

Über Member
This was a Wednesday and would have been the 9th one I’d have had to endure that week up to that point!
I did sixteen site inductions in seven years and all of them were exactly the same. Don't wolf whistle at women, don't get on a forklift unless you have a licence (etc etc).

On the plus side, I got paid for all of them and I got free lunches into the bargain.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I did sixteen site inductions in seven years and all of them were exactly the same. Don't wolf whistle at women, don't get on a forklift unless you have a licence (etc etc).
I know it sounds obvious but some people do need to be told. A local pet shop chain MD was convicted after dropping a pallet on a worker. Turned out his forklift licence had expired years ago, which he then lied about at first. I guess no-one made him sit through the site safety video.

Hopefully they were insured and they hadn't got a new forklift without transferring the plan.

Lovacott

Über Member
I think I read somewhere that the average new bike does 300 miles before being discarded in the shed. If you factor in the minority of bikes that get used and do (potentially) 1000's of miles, then 60 may not be far off the mark for the remainder.
One of the blokes I work with expressed amazement that I was changing my chain and freewheel after less than a year when he'd never once had a problem with his chain in over seven years. I asked him how often he rode his bike and he said a couple of times a year on the local cycle trail with the kids. That's about twenty miles per year over seven years on a flat cycle path as opposed to five thousand miles of commuting over hills in all weathers.

simongt

Guru
One of the blokes I work with expressed amazement that I was changing my chain and freewheel after less than a year when he'd never once had a problem with his chain in over seven years. I asked him how often he rode his bike and he said a couple of times a year on the local cycle trail with the kids. That's about twenty miles per year over seven years on a flat cycle path as opposed to five thousand miles of commuting over hills in all weathers.
This is a bit like the folk at work are amazed that I habitually commmute the 12 miles each way; 'Oh you're so brave.' 'I couldn't / wouldn't do it' etc., etc.. I average around 4500 miles a year simply commuting and shopping etc., almost as far as our car does in the same time.
Some odd, hypocritial folk out there - ! :laugh:

Lovacott

Über Member
This is a bit like the folk at work are amazed that I habitually commmute the 12 miles each way; 'Oh you're so brave.' 'I couldn't / wouldn't do it' etc., etc.. I average around 4500 miles a year simply commuting and shopping etc., almost as far as our car does in the same time.
Some odd, hypocritial folk out there - ! :laugh:
I've done sixty more miles on my bike this year than I have in the car. It was 560 more miles but a car trip to North Wales two weeks ago narrowed the gap.

Lovacott

Über Member
A local pet shop chain MD was convicted after dropping a pallet on a worker. Turned out his forklift licence had expired years ago, which he then lied about at first. I guess no-one made him sit through the site safety video.
Not being nit picky, but in the UK, there is no such thing as a fork lift licence. It's simply a requirement that staff are trained and a record of training is kept. Commonly referred to as a "forklift ticket". It's a record of formal training but it isn't a legal requirement to have one.

In Australia, they went way from this system in 2008 and actually made it an offence to operate a forklift on private property without a full forklift licence. It's linked to your driving licence and can be checked online by any prospective employer.

Lovacott

Über Member
You knew what I meant. He still should have had some sort of refresher and competency check in the last decade!
I get exactly what you are saying but that is the problem with the current system. It's currently acceptable to take on an 18 year old kid and give him a bit of paper saying he's had some "in house training".

That's why the Aussies changed to a central licencing system. Eighteen year old kids were getting killed on forklifts.

The forklift trainer who does our guys (me included) wishes they would make it mandatory for all operators to have a proper licence.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Many years ago back there, I was doing shiftwork, and fancied a 'ghetto-blaster' type thing to use at work. Got one at a well known high street shop, and the sales staff did there utmost to persuade me to get insurance cover on it - which I declined. I later found out that it didn't cover portable devices - guess you can't blame them for trying.

I remember buying a TV from Richer Sounds, a rather good shop overall, and the guy mentioned extended warranty as he was doubtless required to by management, and I was about to politely decline but may have accidentally snorted out loud and he said "I don't blame you mate" and no more was said. Great service though as the shop guy helped me carry it home to my flat - admittedly it wasn't far but still above and beyond the call of duty

Lovacott

Über Member
I remember buying a TV from Richer Sounds, a rather good shop overall, and the guy mentioned extended warranty as he was doubtless required to by management, and I was about to politely decline but may have accidentally snorted out loud and he said "I don't blame you mate" and no more was said. Great service though as the shop guy helped me carry it home to my flat - admittedly it wasn't far but still above and beyond the call of duty
Richer Sounds in Exeter is a must visit every time I go into the city.

Top Bottom