halfords e bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a look at the web site
They look, at first glance, to be old technology - front hub drive and battery on a rear rack
But the main worry is the battery size - and range
My wife's folder has the same size battery (8.7Ah ish) but the Assist has a declared range of 20 miles - while my wife's bike would do double that
and they never reach the declared range anyway - and then it reduces over time

overall - I suspect it may be low quality - hence the price

having said which it is damn cheap

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

Just had a look at the web site
They look, at first glance, to be old technology - front hub drive and battery on a rear rack
But the main worry is the battery size - and range
My wife's folder has the same size battery (8.7Ah ish) but the Assist has a declared range of 20 miles - while my wife's bike would do double that
and they never reach the declared range anyway - and then it reduces over time

overall - I suspect it may be low quality - hence the price

having said which it is damn cheap
what sort of bike has your wife got and do you have any pics please

Mike_P

Guru
Front wheel drive ones have unusual handling qualities. If your in a location where it's going to encounter some hills a mid drive is best, less hilly a rear wheel drive. Bosch motors are regarded as being better than most. Halfords seem to have all varieties not just front wheel drive.

Avoid front wheel drive. Think of it this way nobody pulls a heavy object if they can push it. It's a hell of lot easier for the motor to push the bike than pull it which is what front wheel drive is.

what sort of bike has your wife got and do you have any pics please
Carrera Cross city-e - just look on the Halfords web site
It claims to be able to do 30 miles - but when I take it out I normally do it out of pity as she doesn;t cycle much - therefore I am aiming to just exercise the battery in high assist - but I can generally do 20 miles on that - so in low assist I could go way further

generally a nice bike for a folder - but as it is the only folding ebike I have tried I have no idea about others
but generally I would avoid Halfords myself

also - we got it on a special off at £650 a few years ago - same bike (I think) is now £999 - I think there are probably better similar bikes out there now at that sort of price

A car mpg is (I think) decided in ideal conditions - but the tests are conducted in a specified manner - so they all have the same basis

I have never, however, seen anything showing a standardised testing method for determining the range of an ebike - so I don;t even know if they all do the same thing - or maybe the big ones use something standard but others are free to do something else

It could all make a huge difference - e.g. if the rider is a small pro cyclist they could easily keep the speed over the cutoff speed (15.5 mph in the UK) so the motor uses no battery - hence a huge range

Anyone ever seen a testing standard??

dodgy

Avoid front wheel drive. Think of it this way nobody pulls a heavy object if they can push it. It's a hell of lot easier for the motor to push the bike than pull it which is what front wheel drive is.

This is a mind bender, a bit like the aircraft trying to take off from a conveyor belt.

I think the only real difference between front or rear wheel drive is traction.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Front wheel drive is fine.

Only snag might be on a really steep climb when you tend to yank back on the bars which might cause the front wheel to skip.

The cheapest Halfords ebikes are excellent for the money.

The technology may be old, but it's proven and reliable.

After all, all you really want is the bike to yank itself forwards when you tell it to.

dodgy

But we're talking e-bicycles here :laugh: An e-bike with an electrically powered front wheel drive will always have 2 wheel drive into the bargain, in snow that would be an advantage. Not that I go out in snow or ice 🤷‍♂️

I think the only real difference between front or rear wheel drive is traction.
Exactly you have your weight on the rear wheel. You are just leaning on the front no where near the same weight. I could just imagine going up a muddy hill with the motor on the front wheel. Pity not everyone understands that.
Yes, that'll be why you don't get front wheel drive cars.
Hang on...
Surprisingly there's a fair amount of weight on the front wheels of a car.
There is difference between a car and a bicycle.....honest

But we're talking e-bicycles here :laugh: An e-bike with an electrically powered front wheel drive will always have 2 wheel drive into the bargain, in snow that would be an advantage. Not that I go out in snow or ice 🤷‍♂️
I do go out in ice and snow on a kalkhoff mostly pulling a trailer. Obviously with ice tyres on. I see no benefit at all in having a front wheel motor. I would not want to even think about doing it with a front wheel motor. On the hills (or even on the flat) front wheel would be junk, unless I liked go sideways!

Top Bottom