Halfords earning their nickname...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
After a visit to his LBS, and 30 quid later , mate now has his bike setup up for him and fixed. Nearly everything that could be adjusted needed to be, and they swooped the broken stem for one 20mm shorter too.

They said it was the worst set up bike they'd ever seen apparently. My favourite quoted exchange was:

LBS: "The only thing they got right for you was the frame size - literally."
Mate: "They told me to get the next size up. I got this size as it was in stick and felt fine to me."

We've suggested he write to Halfords and complain.
well obviously, the bill goes to halfords.

it has to be said, if people don't complain, nothing will get done :sad:

fwiw, i've had a few bits from my local and one of the guys knew what he was doing ( well he seemed to).. obviously the others didnt..

davefb

Guru
Hellfrauds fitted a new DAB stereo and one of these wikki wikki amps to a friends sons car. It all stopped working one day, so being a radio amateur, complete with cardigan, I offered to use my awesome electronics prowess to manfully solve the problem.

I found the power to the amp was unfused and fed through the bulkhead without a grommet, ready to turn into a giant 1 bar electric heater and ignite the car. I found the DAB antenna simply shoved out of sight under the passenger seat rather than actually installed. Absolutely frightening standard of workmanship.

Ripped it all out, started again from scratch with decent wiring, soldered connectors, appropriate fuses and grommets.
amazing.
if you have wiring on the house done, you have to have someone who's an expert.. can any old muppet mess about with the car's electrics? That seems surprising in a way, since that 12v can make a right mess..

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Agreed - if you are spending almost £1000 on an assembled bike from a shop you are entitled to expect it to be spot on, perfectly set up and ready to go. If you assemble it yourself you should at least get a discount. If Halfords can't do it properly they should not be selling bikes. I suggest the bike in the OP with stripped threads is damaged and not fit for purpose, and should be replaced. Not being able to fit a front mudguard easily when required is going to be a real PITA. If I strip the thread myself so be it, but I would be peed off to receive the bike in that condition.

Top Bottom