Halfords earning their nickname...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
OK, fair enough, I guess you did put him right with those comments, but I suppose some people will not be told. He sounds like a jobsworth know it all , that actually knows nothing. I agree with what you have said about Halfords, and I am surprised Boardman are till associated with them. It is a shame that they don't let Wiggle sell them in the UK as well.

You should never buy bikes in France. In the UK we have rounder wheels.

Drago

Legendary Member
French bikes reek of garlic.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You should never buy bikes in France. In the UK we have rounder wheels.
About thirty years ago I bought a bike in France on a family holiday, much cheaper than in the UK. It was a Peugeot, it was off white with a faintly metallic look, chrome forks and 12 gears. It also had a helicomatic cassette which was just the coolest thing ever. My LBS was a Peugeot dealer and I took it to show him, he'd never seen the like of it which filled me with pride. I loved everything about it, I'd love to know how many thousands of miles I clocked up on it. About 6 or 7 years later it was stolen, I still miss it :sad:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've got a Peugeot clubman in the garage. I took it off my father-in-law to 'do up' but it's beyond help. I'd have to throw tons of cash at it to get it up and running again. Which is a shame, as I was fancying doing a few summer commutes looking cool.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm having a look to see if I can find any pics of mine on line, I know I don't have any, it would appear the helicomatic cassette is quite rare now.

My Boardman CX disc brakes weren't setup properly when I first got it and they couldn't fix them. I took it to my LBS - Richards cycles in Perth (awesome service) and they set everything up a treat. Later on, discovered the BB30 bottom bracket had been installed with no grease from the factory, so back it went to Halfords to get fixed a few weeks later. Took them 3 weeks to sort it cos they didn't have a BB30 BB removal tool apparently and had to order one in. They damaged my carbon seatpost while BB was getting fixed, so made them pay for a new one.

Bottom line, if you have to get a bike from them, ask for it to be delivered in the box and for them NOT to touch it. Take it to a LBS for a proper setup. You'll save yourself so much hassle...

Mallory

LOL

My front wheel on my Boardman was so out of true my LBS couldn't believe it was from a new bike.

Also the front derailed was not exactly quiet. I could only use 3 gears without the chain rubbing against the damn thing. Mind you the sram Microsoft derailed is not as forgiving as my Ultegra!!!

Chriswas

Crikey, reading the OP has got me panicking!

I bought a bike from Halfords a few weeks ago, i'd better check everything is bolted on before my next ride.!

screenman

Legendary Member
Popped into one yesterday for a aerosol paint, all the expensive bikes on the racks had the gears set largest to smallest. Muppets.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
swap the brake levers over - the UK has a requirement for the way they are set up - not that i am a saddo that knows this of course

Why not just cross over your arms on the bars, far less faff :whistle:

Top Bottom