Halfords new crossers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've had a look at them and they seem good for the price; they're not really cross bikes but for most riders they're fine.

Personally, if I had the cash and needed a spare (I've 6 bikes atm) I'd be buying one.

e-rider

crappy member
the first one looks terrible but it is only £329 - at that price you don't have many alternatives.

The second one looks slightly better but at £499 I'm sure you could do a lot better for that money.

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
The black/green one does look better in real life but lifting up the bars its no lightweight
The claris 8 speed is a rare feature at that price you have got to admit
and on a budget all rounder I'd prefer 8 speed toughness over 9 speed anyway....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
the first one looks terrible but it is only £329 - at that price you don't have many alternatives.

The second one looks slightly better but at £499 I'm sure you could do a lot better for that money.
I think that's around the price of the Boardman offering, isn't it?

talisman50082

Hs Trowbridge branch is fine ? The guys i have dealt with in bike hut are all into cycling. I bought a Crixus and for my purposes it is spot on. Real value for money as it only cost 249.00. There are good and bad LBS .

young Ed

Veteran
why is it rubbish just because its from halfords?
i believe there carrera bikes are OK but MOST of the mechanics there are pretty naff, people have ended up with bearings lacking grease or the bars falling off on the way home or completely useless brakes so if i were buying a bike from halfords i would specifically request to have the bike as it is delivered to the store in the bike box and collect it in a car to assemble my self at home

OP, what do you plan to use the bike for? real CX as in fast in mud and over obstacles etc or will it end up being all on roads and toe paths etc? thing is if it will never leave roads and toe paths etc than i think i would look at a road bike such as the B'Twin triban 3 or 5
either that or go second hand, a wee while ago i bought a 2009 scott speedster for £200, i very nice bike with full shimano 105 groupset
Cheers Ed

david k

Hi
i believe there carrera bikes are OK but MOST of the mechanics there are pretty naff, people have ended up with bearings lacking grease or the bars falling off on the way home or completely useless brakes so if i were buying a bike from halfords i would specifically request to have the bike as it is delivered to the store in the bike box and collect it in a car to assemble my self at home

OP, what do you plan to use the bike for? real CX as in fast in mud and over obstacles etc or will it end up being all on roads and toe paths etc? thing is if it will never leave roads and toe paths etc than i think i would look at a road bike such as the B'Twin triban 3 or 5
either that or go second hand, a wee while ago i bought a 2009 scott speedster for £200, i very nice bike with full shimano 105 groupset
Cheers Ed

I have bought two bikes from halfords and the build has been fantastic, contrast that to a local bike shops which is suppose to be very good and when i went in for a service they said everything needs changing after looking at it for about 30 seconds and quoted me £170!! I lost all faith in them, i guess it depends which halfords, mine has been very very good, each service has been cheaper and better than the lbs

cannot class all halfords as bad just as we cannot class all lbs as good

Kumquat

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting the new carrera cyclocross bike, can anyone give me some advice (I cycle, but I'm not a "proper" cyclist)

At the moment I have 2 cheap mountain bikes (I have dual nationality and split my time between both countries, needed a bike at each place). I'm now at university, and using one of the bikes (the least attractive to thieves) to commute.

I had been toying with the idea of getting a 2nd hand road bike because despite being short the commute on my clunky old bike is slow and a lot of effort. Everyone with a road bike sails effortlessly past me lol. I now think cyclocross bike might be better because although I'm mainly on the road, the commute has a lot of potholes/gravel occasional broken glass etc and I want something hardy. It's also steep in places and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that cyclocross bikes are better for hills? Also, if I had a cyclocross I could get rid of the mountain bike in this country (3 bikes is excessive for someone like me) whereas if I bought a road bike instead I would have to keep the mtb for the odd occasion that I go off-road. I have looked for 2nd hand cyclocross bikes, but found none within my budget that are close to me (I don't have a car)

Do you think the cheap halfords cyclocross sounds like a good idea for someone like me (ie doesn't need the top of the range stuff and small budget) or should I get a roadbike instead? I'm leaning towards the cyclocross, but I'm also concerned that a new bike may be a target for thieves.

Top Bottom