Halfords new crossers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Hi there, I'm thinking of getting the new carrera cyclocross bike, can anyone give me some advice (I cycle, but I'm not a "proper" cyclist)

At the moment I have 2 cheap mountain bikes (I have dual nationality and split my time between both countries, needed a bike at each place). I'm now at university, and using one of the bikes (the least attractive to thieves) to commute.

I had been toying with the idea of getting a 2nd hand road bike because despite being short the commute on my clunky old bike is slow and a lot of effort. Everyone with a road bike sails effortlessly past me lol. I now think cyclocross bike might be better because although I'm mainly on the road, the commute has a lot of potholes/gravel occasional broken glass etc and I want something hardy. It's also steep in places and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that cyclocross bikes are better for hills? Also, if I had a cyclocross I could get rid of the mountain bike in this country (3 bikes is excessive for someone like me) whereas if I bought a road bike instead I would have to keep the mtb for the odd occasion that I go off-road. I have looked for 2nd hand cyclocross bikes, but found none within my budget that are close to me (I don't have a car)

Do you think the cheap halfords cyclocross sounds like a good idea for someone like me (ie doesn't need the top of the range stuff and small budget) or should I get a roadbike instead? I'm leaning towards the cyclocross, but I'm also concerned that a new bike may be a target for thieves.
My mate recently purchased a carrea cirrus at something like 280 ,think there online at the moment for 250 I think. This is a excellent bike for the money and will do off road no problems just depends on what riding you do .my Leicester branch of halfords has an in store on a carrea road bike for 180 which is brilliant value perhaps worth a visit to your branch to check out any offers. You will find changing from a mountain bike you will notice riding is easier

AndyRM

XOXO
No, I posted on this thread because I thought it made sense...
Sorry if it wasn't the right thing to do (I notice that the thread is a bit old) I'm new here :/

Don't worry about it, posting in this thread totally makes sense, even if it has been a little neglected.

I'm sure that someone on here has one of the Halford's crossers and rates it highly. Can't remember who right now but hopefully it'll come back to me and I can link you to their thoughts.

As for your thoughts about a bike, I think you're going in the right direction. A CX bike will give you pretty much the best of all worlds! Halford's do offer decent value for money on many of their bikes, the problem lies with some staff not having a clue which gives them a fairly negative rep on here.

shadow master

If people stop buying bikes from halfords...what are we going to put in all the landfill sites,what will eBay and the car boots do with out any stock!and on a more serious note the independent bike shops will be hit really hard as repairing halfords bikes is very nice business,bikes shops would never survive relying on repairing the products they sell themselves.

Kumquat

So, popped into my local halfords today to have a peak. Really liked it, but am both excited and slightly terrified about dropped handles/gear shifting/more aggressive riding position- do people usually pick it up quickly?

Reassuringly I was directed to "the bike expert" who seemed to have decent knowledge

Pretty sure I'm going to get it know, but any opinions on which colour? :tongue:

102511.jpeg
downloadfile.jpeg

AndyRM

XOXO
So, popped into my local halfords today to have a peak. Really liked it, but am both excited and slightly terrified about dropped handles/gear shifting/more aggressive riding position- do people usually pick it up quickly?

Reassuringly I was directed to "the bike expert" who seemed to have decent knowledge

Pretty sure I'm going to get it know, but any opinions on which colour? :tongue:

View attachment 78970 View attachment 78971

You'll find it feels a bit 'twitchy' after a mountain bike, but you'll get used to it soon. Same with gear shifting to be honest, a couple of rides and it'll be second nature. Don't worry about the drops too much - they're there as an option, you don't have to use them. I rarely do when I commute on my road bike.

Personally I prefer the green colour-scheme, but I guess it's whatever Halfords have available in your size. If it's an older model, you could ask for a discount.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

View attachment 78970 View attachment 78971
The black one for me.
I got my roadie back in August, first time on a "racer" in nearly thirty years. Yes it was different to start with but soon got into the swing of things. Remember there are lots if different places for your hands to go on drop bars so you can keep moving about which you can't do on a straight bar bike. Gear shifting is super easy aswell, do it.

Kumquat

Hi everyone, I've bought the bike, went for the black in the end. I had a slight preference for the green, but my local halfords just sold their last one and its not available to order in, or anywhere within a 15 mile radius (I don't have a car)

I'll collect it on Sunday. Any tips for what to check for to see if it's been set up properly?? Remember I know nothing about bikes.

AndyRM

XOXO
Hi everyone, I've bought the bike, went for the black in the end. I had a slight preference for the green, but my local halfords just sold their last one and its not available to order in, or anywhere within a 15 mile radius (I don't have a car)

I'll collect it on Sunday. Any tips for what to check for to see if it's been set up properly?? Remember I know nothing about bikes.

Give the brakes a squeeze to check they align properly and don't stick.
Check the bars are on correctly - they shouldn't move in the stem (bit which holds them onto the frame).
Give it a spin round the shop/car park and have a flick through the gears to see if they shift properly.
If you're riding it home, it's probably worth asking them to adjust the saddle to your height - again make sure it's tightened up properly.

Can't really think of anything else.

Top Bottom