Halfords new crossers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swill

Hi. I bought the Green one as well, it looks classier in the flesh than the photo.
First thing I'd check is that the brakes were set up properly. They're Cantillevers and not everyone (me included) has previous experience of them - so they might not be quite right. It took me longer to sort the brakes than build the rest of the bike. I did some googling and managed to find some pointers. They work OK now.
It's also be worth rechecking the Hi and Lo settings on the gears (again you'll find instructions online - google derailleur adjustment). I'll post some links later.
And check that the axle skewers on the wheels are tight enough (they dont need to be too tight though, enough to hold the wheel - not enough to bend the frame!).
Apart from theat give it the once over, check that all the bolts are secure, remember that it's mainly alloy and not too tighten things with too heavy a hand.

The bolts will need checking more often when the bike is new as the parts are settling down.

BTW: The other day I noticed that my front wheel is not as free to spin as I'd like. I'll be stripping it down and regreasing it in the not too distant. I learnt how to do this kind of thing from Richards Bicycle Book ages ago - you might want to get a copy of a similar book to learn maintenance. Or it might be worth taking it to a local bike shop for a thorough service after a little while. It'll save you ££££'s in the long run.

Good luck.

Swill

I forgot to mention: On cantillever brakes there is a link wire connecting the two sides. These go through a kind of bridge which is connected to the main brake cable. If the nut and bolt on the bridge come loose, or if the brake cable snaps the link wire can go on to the tyre and will bring on the brakes pretty sharpish. On the front of the Crixus you can install the reflector braket below the link cable so no problem there. But on the back there doesnt appear to be room for this (plus you only get a seat post mounted reflector - not one on a braket). Until I think of a better solution (such as a Raleigh Cantillever seat clamp mounted stop @ £1.99 or a Tektro Brake booster @ £4.99 from SJS cycles etc) I've looped a cable tie from under the link cable and up to the frame where the plastic covered part of the brake cable stops. You dont want to tighten the cable tie up tight - leave slack in it (or you'll prevent the brakes from springing back into the off position properly) , you just want to loop the cable tie around the two parts to prevent the link cable falling if the main cable snaps etc. Or course having mudguards also prevents the wire falling on the tyre.
Sheldon Brown has written some good articles on bicycle mainenance generally - but there's also a section specifficaly on cantillever bakes which I had to refer to in order to set mine up properly.

david k

Hi
If people stop buying bikes from halfords...what are we going to put in all the landfill sites,what will eBay and the car boots do with out any stock!and on a more serious note the independent bike shops will be hit really hard as repairing halfords bikes is very nice business,bikes shops would never survive relying on repairing the products they sell themselves.
Locally this couldn't be more wrong. The local bike shop is a complete rip off, only out to make money every time I go I get the hard sell, they tell me I need repairs I don't really need. There are others that are ok at best, I find them arrogant know it alls who scoff at you for not knowing as much as them

Halfords have been great, very helpful, cheaper and do a great job on the bikes, they have a large range of bikes also

Tojo

Über Member
Locally this couldn't be more wrong. The local bike shop is a complete rip off, only out to make money every time I go I get the hard sell, they tell me I need repairs I don't really need. There are others that are ok at best, I find them arrogant know it alls who scoff at you for not knowing as much as them.

Tell me about it I'm a qualified bike mechanic myself and phoned up the local to try and get a shimano freehub for a campag rear wheel quickly for a mate, and he started trying to baffle me with bullshit, so I let him continue, as he started to say are you sure you mean freehub and not a freewheel, he waffled on until I stopped him and said I know you stock campag gear and I just need to know have you got a shimano compatable freehub to fit a zonda rear hub, he then said that the zondas only come with a campag freewheel hub, needles to say when I pass his shop its empty........:whistle:

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
One of our lbs did a service on a mates road bike and didn't re thread the gear cables through the guides under the BB! They all make mistakes.

why is it rubbish just because its from halfords?

IME thats a bit like asking "Why is it shoot just because it came out of my arse?"

A large proportion of the stuff I have had from Halfords have been in someway defective or just poor quality. Ok for inner tubes but even these I will buy elsewhere nowadays. I simply wont go to Halfords for anything.

david k

Hi
IME thats a bit like asking "Why is it shoot just because it came out of my arse?"

A large proportion of the stuff I have had from Halfords have been in someway defective or just poor quality. Ok for inner tubes but even these I will buy elsewhere nowadays. I simply wont go to Halfords for anything.
My experience has been the opposite, great value also compared with lbs

Top Bottom