Halfords, not always as bad as painted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porridge

Been commuting to work on a daily basis for over a year now, just the one bike at the moment and my only means of getting to work, therefore its vital to get any repairs done as soon as possible!

Now i've seen the constant moans about Halfords, but my experience has only been good, they've always been really helpful and come to my rescue by fitting me on every occassion, where as all my local bike shops are happy to fit me in "next week, its summer and our busy period".

Anyway a big thank you to the guy at the Watford branch who has been been fantastic over the last year, as for the LBS, well maybe they really should start to look after their regular customers a little bit better.

whoops , wrong forum

gavintc

Guru
Bloody hell, we have a Halfords love in. I agree it is mostly a people thing. But, and it is a big but, I just don't like the feel of the shops. It is like shopping for decent bike components in Asda. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but give me any bike shop before Halfords.

Tynan

Veteran
I get the impression that Halfords have got a lot of things right but their chronic failure is to employ kids and oiks whereas a proper bike shop will naturally be independant and staffed by the owners and some key staff

OP
OP
P

porridge

gavintc said:
Bloody hell, we have a Halfords love in. I agree it is mostly a people thing. But, and it is a big but, I just don't like the feel of the shops. It is like shopping for decent bike components in Asda. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but give me any bike shop before Halfords.

My point is that the beloved LBS doesn't have the monopoly on good service, infact the guy at Halfords wins hands down over the 4 LBS in my area, i've tried to give my business to shop where I bought my bike, but they choose to serve "the summer trade" who will have put their bikes back in the garage come the autumn.

OP
OP
P

porridge

porridge said:
My point is that the beloved LBS doesn't have the monopoly on good service, infact the guy at Halfords wins hands down over the 4 LBS in my area, i've tried to give my business to shop where I bought my bike, but they choose to serve "the summer trade" who will have put their bikes back in the garage come the autumn.

Anyway, a big thumbs up to the guy at the Watford branch (must get his name).

col

Legendary Member
Its the same at my local halfords, it has adults working there, and knowledgable too.

Crankarm

Guru
porridge said:
Anyway, a big thumbs up to the guy at the Watford branch (must get his name).

Why not write to Halfords head office commending their member of staff to them. It might make them refocus their buisness plan to improve the training for all their staff who work in their bike departments :laugh:.

Bodhbh

Guru
I dunno who you're using as the LBS in town, however I agree with you about the Halfords here in Watford. I've only been in for minor bits, but they've given me spares for free, offered to do 5min untightening jobs on the spot for nominal fee to save me buying tools (which decided to buy anyhow but heyho) and generally been helpful and not just spotty dogsbodies.

But I know what you mean about inflexible LBSs. I had a wheel that broke several spokes about 2 days b4 I was due to be flying off on a touring holiday. Despite explaing the situation and appearing fairly frantic trying to get it retrued without joining a 1-2 week queue was a nightmare and took alot of phonecalls, begging and walking about with a wheel.

Later on I got it repaired again - it took 2 and a half weeks. At that point I got sick of this and ordered a handbuilt one from Spa Cycles which was built the Saturday I made the phone call and arrived on the Monday and only cost double the previous cost of fixing the broke spokes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
gavintc said:
Bloody hell, we have a Halfords love in. I agree it is mostly a people thing. But, and it is a big but, I just don't like the feel of the shops. It is like shopping for decent bike components in Asda.
French supermarkets quite often have an entire aisle of bike stuff - the Leclerc's in La Ferté Bernard had three, as I recall.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
^^ wot I woz gonna say.

I got an XT cassette and a great zefal mini pump from a french hypermarket last but one hol's

thomas

the tank engine
porridge said:

One of the blokes in the Dorking Bike hut thingy was great! Really nice guy, helped me out when something went wrong on my bike and when I was asking about saddle bags he gave me some useful recommendations (and that they didn't stock them :biggrin:). Good, honest advice!

OP
OP
P

porridge

Bodhbh said:
I dunno who you're using as the LBS in town, however I agree with you about the Halfords here in Watford. I've only been in for minor bits, but they've given me spares for free, offered to do 5min untightening jobs on the spot for nominal fee to save me buying tools (which decided to buy anyhow but heyho) and generally been helpful and not just spotty dogsbodies.

But I know what you mean about inflexible LBSs. I had a wheel that broke several spokes about 2 days b4 I was due to be flying off on a touring holiday. Despite explaing the situation and appearing fairly frantic trying to get it retrued without joining a 1-2 week queue was a nightmare and took alot of phonecalls, begging and walking about with a wheel.

Later on I got it repaired again - it took 2 and a half weeks. At that point I got sick of this and ordered a handbuilt one from Spa Cycles which was built the Saturday I made the phone call and arrived on the Monday and only cost double the previous cost of fixing the broke spokes.

I bought my bike from cyclopedia, the guys in there are very nice and I would prefer to give them my business, but at the end of the day I need my bike to get to work, the job I needed doing was really a 5 minute job.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Crankarm said:
Why not write to Halfords head office commending their member of staff to them. It might make them refocus their buisness plan to improve the training for all their staff who work in their bike departments :biggrin:.

Good idea

Top Bottom