Halfords or local bike shop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allterrain

Hi,

I'm sort of newish to cycling. I need to have some repairs done to my mountain bike. Where would people advise me to go (price and service), my local bike shop, or Halfords?

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Personally i would steer clear of Halfords

Globalti

Legendary Member
Build a relationship with your local bike shop, take along some biscuits for the mechanics and you will always get good service.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Most, if not all, local bike shops are run by cycling enthusiasts and you'll generally get good advice and one-to-one service. But some can be a bit snobby.

LBS labour pricing is generally a bit cheaper than the big chains.

mickle said:
Hello allterrain and welcome to Cycle Chat.

There are some good Halfords and there are plenty of sh!t independant cycle shops but on the whole it's safe to say that Halfords are pretty effing useless.
I will have to agree with Mickle, Halfords is pretty unless they put them together to be fair.
Like Globalti said build a good relationship with your LBS you can't go far wrong.
By the way Allterrian :angry:

P.S Mickle that's the 3rd time someones agreed with you lol ''YOU ARE ON ROLL'' :laugh:

Blimey!

[swoons/]

Someone has to pay or all of Halfords prime sites, car parks, etc., and it's usually the customer. My local Halfords has a switched-on lad working there, but he is the exception rather than the rule. I'd rather go to a little LBS about 20 miles away for the free advice, ability to order in parts in double-quick time when I need them, and their really skillful mechanics. I also like supporting small businesses, as opposed to large faceless organisations.

Norm

allterrain, whilst I agree that many Halfords are staffed by monkeys, there are some good ones. It might help if we have some indication about which part of the country you are in.

NigC

I've learnt the hard way with Halfords:

We bought a bike for our daughter from Halfords. Firstly they made a hash of the order by not having the bike built when they said it would be. Then they did a rush job of putting it together and included stabilizers when I said they were not necessary. Finally after a few months, first one, then the other pedal fell off (obviously the first was reattached before she rode it). They refitted them each time (I didn't have a spanner that could do it :angry: ) and it has been fine ever since, but I'll only go there for the odd accessory now, never any servicing.

Of course this is just one story of one shop, but it seems to be a common complaint.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mickle said:
Hello allterrain and welcome to Cycle Chat.

There are some good Halfords and there are plenty of sh!t independant cycle shops but on the whole it's safe to say that Halfords are pretty effing useless.

Yes my halfords is ok as they guy their is a MTBer but i would always go to the LBS they are likely to be quicker and cheaper and carry an assortment of odds and sods for a missing part instead of having to order a complete part in.
Most LBS will be run by enthusiasts rather than someone drawing a wage and they will care about their service.

OP
OP
A

allterrain

Ok thanks everyone. You've made my mind up for me, the local bike shop it is then. The thing is I took my bike to one several times before, and not been particularly happy with the result (the man there is an older guy). Think i'm gonna try another nearby shop where the man seems a bit younger and maybe more used to dealing with younger peoples' mountain bikes.

The problem is mine is an oldish Kona on which I'm gradually upgrading the parts, but it's developed an annoying crack/clink on the left pedal/crank on every rotation of the pedals, in addition to other less significant noises in various places. Also thinking of getting a new rear derailleur, as I want to improve the performance of the bike without having to spend much cash. Any ideas on what I could do?

Top Bottom