Halfords or used bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it the right size? Ask the seller for a copy of the receipt, make sure,it's his/hers to sell

Slick

Guru
Forgot to check frame size :sad: it probably should be 56cm because I’m 175cm
I'm around the same height and have a 54, although it is small it is strangely comfortable. My other bikes are all much larger and feel a better fit in so many ways but I always seem to go back to the smaller frame from time to time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not necessarily. I'm 177cm and ride bikes with a 54cm top tube. You need to check the geometry and see what the 54cm measurement actually refers to. Better still go ride if you don't know if it's right which appears to be so being a newbie to road bikes? There is no hard and fast rule on sizing

vickster

Legendary Member
If you're in Preston why not check out Ribble, Dolan or Merlin who are both that way and do a good range of sub £1000 bikes?

OP
OP
Gintas

Gintas

I have 54cm at moment, but probably nothing gonna go wrong with 56 as well :smile: but to buy a new bike will be biggest problem:biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have 54cm at moment, but probably nothing gonna go wrong with 56 as well :smile: but to buy a new bike will be biggest problem:biggrin:
What's your current bike and which bit is measured as 54cm? There's no industry standard, could be seat tube, top tube...Cannondale ave always come up big which is why you need to know exactly what you are buying. Also find out what bottom bracket it has

the snail

Guru
My guess is that at your height you're probably on the cusp between 54/56 so you could probably get on with either size with some adjustments.

GuyBoden

Guru
There are some used bike bargains, but you do need to know a bit about bikes, so that you can check that the frame/fork are straight, the bearings are ok, the rear gears are not bent, the wheels are not too worn, the brakes are ok, the front chain rings are not bent and other stuff.

Then be prepared to renew worn components/cables/chain/cassette and grease/overhaul the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you get the carrera and you enjoy cycling, you'll want to change it within a year. Can I recommend a Boardman from Halfords

Boardman SLR 8.6 Road Bike
£550
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8-6-road-bike
For another £150, could get a Ribble with Tiagra and Mavic wheels rather than Claris and no name rims, including presumably the necessary adjustments to stem and bars if you ask Ribble rather than whatever Boardman think is appropriate to the frame size. Although Ribble do think that everyone who buys a medium frame needs a 44cm bar :wacko:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-7005-sportive/

Hmm, it looks like they only have the XL in stock

Top Bottom