Halfords repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I took my lads bike back to Halfords a few years back. The rear wheel wasn't even dished, somehow they had forced it between the brake calipers and the wheel was completely wedged up against the chainstay. I told them to fark off and bought him a Marin.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Got to be a troll post surely?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Hi, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice. My son bought a Carrera Vengence from his friend, a little bit tatty looking but he just wanted it for going out with his friends. He came home with a puncture, so we took it to Halfords for a repair and "free" health check. We were told that the bike would not be released back to us unless the bike was repaired to legal road safety standards. They came back with a very long list of what needed to be done but were vague about the cost. There was a part that needed to be ordered, so we told them to do repairs. 3 weeks later, still no bike, I made enquiries and they assured me they would get back to me. A week later they did and said they needed consent to carry out nearly £200 in repairs. After a discussion, they said the bike really wasn't worth spending that amount of money on but they couldn't let the bike go without doing the necessary repairs, which was brakes and an inner tube. So that's what was done, we picked the bike up my son used it 3 times. The 3rd time he used it the front wheel fell off, he came off the bike in the middle of the road in front of a car and his back wheel fell off too. He was very lucky he wasn't hurt or hit by a car. I went back to halfords who said they would look at the bike. They have now phoned me to say the wheels have been put back on and are secure and they noticed the front wheel hub was in a bad state and that's why the wheel fell off but they have replaced it as a gesture of good will. I really don't have a clue about bikes but looking on the Internet it says a faulty hub wouldn't cause a wheel to fall off. While I'm grateful that the bike has been repaired and my son has not been hurt, I'm a little concerned that this has happened and if it is the fault of Halfords I really think someone should be held accountable.
I would be really grateful for anyone's thoughts or advice on this.
Many thanks in advance.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jack2022

My word......thanks for all those who gave constructive comments. I am quite saddened by the negative ones who think this is something I have made up. As a mum, I was upset that this happened to my son and not knowing anything about bikes posted on here for a little knowledge and support for something that could have had quite serious consequences. I guess I will just go back to Google!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'd prefer to hear Halford's version of events as well before giving you any ammo to use against them. HTH.

Come to that, it's still a bit vague as to what the OP is saying actually happened.

Are the wheels quick release or bolted on ? Did you check them for tightness ? How did you get the bike in the car ?

Is it possible for you take photos of the bike so we can see if it worth repairing.

Any chance of letting us know exactly what they did to your sons bike,

No response to any of those questions.

OP
OP
J

jack2022

As stated in my original post, the necessary repairs they carried out were an inner tube and brakes. I don't remember all of the original list of recommended repairs but included a seat (current one has a rip on it) , 1 pedal which they said was a bit loose, tyres....said they were part worn and something about a cassette.....which was the part they were waiting over 3 weeks for and never actually got. I googled about a "quick release" as someone mentioned that before I went back to halfords, as far as my knowledge goes I could only see 1 wheel had it. The bike has not yet been picked up so I can't take photos. Again from my original post.....what happened was the front wheel came off, followed by the back one.
Thanks for the first few post that were put up, they were genuinely very helpful. As for the rest.......really is that the way you treat new members?????

DRM

Guru
Come to that, it's still a bit vague as to what the OP is saying actually happened.

No response to any of those questions.
See below
Thanks for all your replies, it's very much appreciated. I think I will be taking this higher up, especially after many of you have stated that Halfords actually had no right to say they would keep hold of the bike until certain repairs had been made. I will be asking for them to clarify that quote, which was made more than once. I know it would be very difficult to prove the wheels came off as a consequence of their incompetence and have no desire to pursue them in this matter for personal gain, it just scares me what could have happened and if it's not addressed , what could possibly happen to someone else

Chris S

Legendary Member
he came off the bike in the middle of the road in front of a car and his back wheel fell off too.
How could the back wheel fall off? If it was loose it would just stay in the chain-stays and be pulled off-centre by the chain.

@Rickshaw Phil @Pat "5mph" @Shaun - Please could you delete this thread? The OP has made potentially defamatory remarks about Halfords and left Cycle Chat open to litigation.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
As stated in my original post, the necessary repairs they carried out were an inner tube and brakes. I don't remember all of the original list of recommended repairs but included a seat (current one has a rip on it) , 1 pedal which they said was a bit loose, tyres....said they were part worn and something about a cassette.....which was the part they were waiting over 3 weeks for and never actually got. I googled about a "quick release" as someone mentioned that before I went back to halfords, as far as my knowledge goes I could only see 1 wheel had it. The bike has not yet been picked up so I can't take photos. Again from my original post.....what happened was the front wheel came off, followed by the back one.
Thanks for the first few post that were put up, they were genuinely very helpful. As for the rest.......really is that the way you treat new members?????
Halfords could well be waiting several weeks for a cassette (rear cogs) for the bike as bike parts are in short supply and have been for months due to covid and a high demand for bikes and parts. That isn't their fault and you'd encounter the same problems at almost any bike shop at the mo if not already in stock. Quick release mechanisms should be checked regularly - it may be that they were not correctly closed

Reactions: C R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom