Halfords to stock Pinarello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
My first though was the Boardman contract must be coming to an end. Not sure I would want my brand in there, and if I were a current independent stockist I would be looking at getting shot of Pinarello.

There was a rumour a while ago that Specialized were going in to Halfords?

sabian92

Über Member
I hope if people have the money for a Pinarello they have the money to get it built by somebody else.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hoy's new range is going through Evans.

I can't say that Evans are hugely savvy in the build and assembly stakes, but the times I've had a complaint at Evans its always been resolved immediately and without a word of argument, so they do try I guess.

lejogger

Guru
I have very mixed feelings on this... there is however a lack of mixed feeling on facebook where this link was published - there's not a whole lot of love going on.
I have two Boardmans so I have a small feeling of defence towards Halfords. My Team Carbon in particular is my pride and joy, and to be fair although I realise that Halfords have had a few shockers, I've had probably just as many poor experiences at my LBS. The mechanics charged with fettling the Boardmans are capable; what's worrying is the one's with the responsibility of building a steed up for your young child are generally the ones who seem to have spent a little too long inhaling the fumes in the touch-up paint aisle, or running round spraying alloy wheel cleaner down each other's pants.

I just can't get my head around the rationale. Nobody is going to be spending £5k on anything in Halfords, especially a bike. Pinarello don't make a bike that retails under about £1.2k do they so none of the C2W rabble will be cashing in? What market can they possibly be aiming at? The whole reason they shifted so many Team Carbons in 2010 was because it came in at £999. You don't see many of the Pro carbons around for that very reason despite them being perfectly decent.

So unless they're going to be heavily discounted, and/or under the C2W threshold whilst accepting that you ought to be a half decent fettler yourself to make sure you can set up anything that the mechanics might have missed, I just don't see how this is going to work for anyone.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
No, I ain't joking... See here :ohmy:

"Hello, I'd like a Dogma please..."
"Would you like us to building it for you sir?"
"erm, NO! Thanks for asking though..." :laugh:

Surely they could've found a UK stockist with a better reputation than Halfords?

Keith Oates

Janner
It does say they will be stocked in "Selected Halfords Stores" so that could be the answer. I know some Halfords have not given good service to many people but I've been lucky and had good service in a couple that I've visited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd be surprised at how many different brands Helfrauds can actually source.

I was browsing a catalogue a while back whilst waiting for someone to serve me, (God knows what I was doing in there TBH but hey ho), and I was gobsmaacked at the variety of well established brands they can order, but why anyone would is beyond me.

lejogger

Guru
You'd be surprised at how many different brands Helfrauds can actually source.

I was browsing a catalogue a while back whilst waiting for someone to serve me, (God knows what I was doing in there TBH but hey ho), and I was gobsmaacked at the variety of well established brands they can order, but why anyone would is beyond me.

Perhaps because their company only use Halfords as a C2W scheme supplier. It's in their interests to be able to source a wide range as it keeps the scheme viable - as short of the boardmans, serious cyclists wouldn't want any of the in-store bikes.
In the C2W scheme at our place this year when a lady tried to get them to source a single speed Pinarello Catena and they couldn't find one, they actually arranged for a local bike shop to supply it and deal with her, and then paid the LBS back for the bike.
Forget the reputation, that's good service IMO when they could have easily told her to forget it and choose something else from their range.

fossala

Guru
I like my local halfords lot and pick up the odd thing from there when it is cheaper. Wouldn't let them touch my bike though.

lejogger

Guru
I like my local halfords lot and pick up the odd thing from there when it is cheaper. Wouldn't let them touch my bike though.

Their problem is the inconsistency. The lad who sold me the Team Carbon was beaming with pride when he told me he'd personally assembled and set it up... and was quite devastated when I pointed out that he hadn't tightened the stem and the handlebars moved quite independently from the front wheel and the rear brake was rubbing on the rim.
You can get enthusiasm without care, attention to detail or skill, or you can just get no care or attention to detail at all. He wanted to do a good job but for whatever reason didn't. It could have been nasty but I would never have ridden it away without giving it a damn good check over first anyway - but that would be the same for me with a bike bought from an LBS.

Fortunately there are a couple of lads who do know what they're doing and for small jobs while they were under warranty I let them look at brake and gear issues the first couple of times, especially with the disc brakes on the CX before I got the hang of them. I do the majority of things myself now - and as a bike owner I kind of feel that that's how it should be. I certainly didn't consider them when I needed a spoke replacing and a wheel truing last month though.

Top Bottom