Halfords to stock Pinarello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Alan Ingarfield, Sarah Mooney are the major shareholders. I only know this as I pished off with the way my CX was set up and looked in to it, to be fair CB he did respond to my email.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/boardman/boardman_about.html

Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean they own them.

Private/public/their own money/backers.

400bhp

Guru
You may well be right. I am amazed that - apparently - people make impulsive 'lifestyle' purchases of £2+K road bikes, with little knowledge, and even less experience.

People do it all the time with cars.

I talked down a "friend" from buying a £2k Ribble bike without him knowing much about them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you are sufficiently bothered a few quid will get you the annual return for Boardman Bikes Ltd. Free info is that there are 5 shareholders (corporate or individual) and it is an independent company

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05467715

400bhp is spot on re how representative posters on Cyclechat are regarding Halfords target market for Pinarellos......wholly unrepresentative. There are plenty of folk out there with £2K to drop on a bike who have no idea about bikes and wouldn't dream of visiting a LBS to buy one

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
400bhp is spot on re how representative posters on Cyclechat are regarding Halfords target market for Pinarellos......wholly unrepresentative. There are plenty of folk out there with £2K to drop on a bike who have no idea about bikes and wouldn't dream of visiting a LBS to buy one
I increasingly feel I live in a different universe - are they the ones who then fit propstands, mirrors and expensive chunky flat MTB pedals, maybe? :banghead:

400bhp

Guru
If you are sufficiently bothered a few quid will get you the annual return for Boardman Bikes Ltd. Free info is that there are 5 shareholders (corporate or individual) and it is an independent company

Yeah-thanks , CBA to spend money, but it doesn't state how much of the company is debt and interest. Would be interested to know if those 2 bods had a bit of cash to finance the deal in the first place. I would imagine a hefty capital layout is initially required to start a bike business, not least to give it the clout to get Halfords to sell them.

Andrew_P

In between here and there

Its free with DueDil :-) and it looks like someone dropped a bit of cash in last year + debtors almost doubled suggesting they pu a lot of stock in to someone.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah-thanks , CBA to spend money, but it doesn't state how much of the company is debt and interest. Would be interested to know if those 2 bods had a bit of cash to finance the deal in the first place. I would imagine a hefty capital layout is initially required to start a bike business, not least to give it the clout to get Halfords to sell them.

I was surprised that it qualified as a "small business". This means that it fulfils two of the following 3 criteria

1) Turnover less than £2.8m
2) Balance Sheet total less than £1.4m
3) Employees fewer than 50

It fulfils (2) ... the Net Worth is £0.8m so it either has fewer than 50 employees or turnover less than £2.8m or both.

This suggests to me that this company is just a place to invoice the royalties payable by Halfords etc payable on Boardman bike sales.
Say the royalty is £100 per bike, it takes a lot of bikes to get £2.8m turnover but then again, there will be very little overhead in the business. Working Capital is not an issue as Halfords will buy from and pay the factories directly. Boardman Bikes will not be involved in this.

400bhp

Guru
I was surprised that it qualified as a "small business". This means that it fulfils two of the following 3 criteria

1) Turnover less than £2.8m
2) Balance Sheet total less than £1.4m
3) Employees fewer than 50

It fulfils (2) ... the Net Worth is £0.8m so it either has fewer than 50 employees or turnover less than £2.8m or both.

This suggests to me that this company is just a place to invoice the royalties payable by Halfords etc payable on Boardman bike sales.
Say the royalty is £100 per bike, it takes a lot of bikes to get £2.8m turnover but then again, there will be very little overhead in the business. Working Capital is not an issue as Halfords will buy from and pay the factories directly. Boardman Bikes will not be involved in this.

I think you're on the right lines, although I suppose a lot of it could be done overseas- my guess is this was financed by Halfords in some shape or form.

Top Bottom