Halfords to stock Pinarello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Most LBS are probably like that, its the fear of the unknown

Most people think going into halfords to spend 1k on c2w scheme is doing research. Otherwise forums like this would have 10s of thousands of members. Forum users are probably are only a small % of total number of people in a hobby or sport

Nail, head. I used to post on a frequent flyer forum and it was full of people very knowledgeable about flying matters. They couldn't get their heads around people's apparently irrational flying decisions. They could only see it from their informed, experienced position.

Exactly the same here. People who post on cyclechat forum (or any other cycling forum) are not representative of the cycling public. There are loads of people who just want an ordinary retail experience like going to M&S - well laid out shop, non-intimidating staff, returns policy etc etc. Halfords ticks their boxes. If the LBS don't like the fact that Halfords are the UK's leading bike retailer then they need to look at why Halfords are so successful. 33% increase in premium bike sales. 55% gross margin on all sales (not split into bikes/non bikes unfortunately). Great business

400bhp

Guru
I think it is a good move, it might force them to deflate their prices a tad since they are way over priced for what they are!

Aye

It's not that hard to work out their decision is it?

Massive increase in cycling = massive brand awarness now the bikes are ridden by certain cyclists including a certain British TdF winner. Spin out a few "lower end" models, with possibly sora or a lower groupset, and a few hybrids/mtb lower end models and it's a winner.

Perhaps brand them subtly different (think Emporio/Giorgio).

Boardman bikes were the largest selling bikes in the UK back in 2009 when I bought mine from there and I suspect that is still true.

Crankarm

Guru
Chris Boardman must be minted now given all the Boardman bikes that Halfords have sold. I think they are also selling Victoria Pendleton's bike offering as well although I might be wrong. If they sold anything badged with Lance Armstrong then they might be onto a loser, although ..........

zizou

Veteran
I dont actually mind Halfords, they've saved me quite a few times when i've needed an inner tube or tool or bottle cage (etc) or other 'emergency' purchase. How the bikes are put together in the shops is going to be very dependent on who the mechanic is....but the same is true with LBS too. There are ones i'll avoid because i've had poor quality of work done on my bikes despite them being "proper" bike shops.

As for damage to Pinarello's brand (and thus the price premium they can charge for their bikes) - that has already been damaged hugely in the last 2 or 3 years not by decisions like deciding to sell a bike in Halfords but by not being able to clamp down on the fakes on sale from China.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
My LBS is awesome. Their typical approach is "go and have a free coffee in our lounge and think about it." No pressure, just decent advice from folk that know what they're about.
What a great idea, I would really love that!
Cycling mags and other snippets of information strewn around and like minded people to chat to and bounce ideas off of AND coffee and cakes an all. Sounds a great way to help you part with your hard earned money

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, they went on sale in Halfords from today.

HERE

potsy

Rambler
Hideous :thumbsdown:
pinarello only the brave.jpg

Top Bottom