Halfords & Wiggle - seriously WTF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think some of the big chains use COVID as an excuse for crap delivery times. I ordered from Tredz and was charged delivery. It’s despatched but when I check tracking it’s not even been collected. They also quote 7 days delivery. :wacko:
Sometimes I would rather pay a little more and go local. Leisure Lakes in Lancaster are very good, Wheelbase in Staveley good too

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Do you work at a LBS perchance? :rolleyes:

The answer to your question is 'as many times as you get asked'
It's their/your job so if it's too much then they should perhaps get another job that doesn't involve customer facing and is more suited to a lack of empathy and patience.
Remember, you/they may have heard it a thousand times but to the customer (if you're lucky they may end up being one) it's probably a first and if they knew they'd not be asking..:rolleyes:
People don't have to use LBS's, as this thread proves.
You've obviously never worked in retail.

Sloth

Ethically, I would always say to use a local shop rather than a chain retailer. And especially don't do the selfish thing of using the bike shop to test and try, then buy 10% cheaper online. That ain't fair at all. Local is good ...

However, I only use my LBS for things I need today, right now. The owner is OK but some of the staff are surly and rude. But the main problem is that the two bikes I have bought from them (brand new) have had faults that should have been picked up on PDI by anyone half-competent. I have also bought bikes from Halfords, and they have been in perfect order. The Halfords staff are keen and knowledgeable, will help you out at short notice, can chat bikes all day, and - best of all - treat me like they are happy I've called. So, although I understand that other have had different experiences, I won't diss Halfords, and I won't recommend my LBS.

Absolutely.

This 100% although if they are rude or lack courtesy I will have no compunction in milking them dry for browsing before buying online....it's not like I didn't give them chance.
I wouldn't just do it to save a few £ though (although I would if it was a significant difference in £), only if they p*ssed me off.
LBS = Rude, surly and ignorant
Halfords = Friendly, knowledgeable and ready to help....and patient!

What's the difference between a lazy and surly LBS and a friendly and courteous Halfords?.....My custom!

Last edited:

Sloth

You've obviously never worked in retail.

That's so funny, I have worked both in retail and in customer facing sales roles all my life.
I have read the books, done the courses, taught the courses and most importantly done the job so please don't assume you know my experience.
In nearly 40 years, I have never felt the need to be rude to customers (who pay our wages) or treat them with any lack of respect.
As I said, if you lack the tools choose another job where blunt instruments perhaps work better?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
That's so funny, I have worked both in retail and in customer facing sales roles all my life.
I have read the books, done the courses, taught the courses and most importantly done the job so please don't assume you know my experience.
In nearly 40 years, I have never felt the need to be rude to customers (who pay our wages) or treat them with any lack of respect.
As I said, if you lack the tools choose another job where blunt instruments perhaps work better?
If only life was that straightforward eh.

RichardB

Slightly retro
What's the difference between a lazy and surly LBS and a friendly and courteous Halfords?.....My custom!

I think the rule is to seek out the enthusiasts, rather than the establishment. My local Halfords guys are all bike-mad, between about 30 and 50, and will talk bikes all day long. They are all in the baggy shorts/MTB gear and prefer to talk mud and hills, but they are happy with any bike stuff. The LBS guys are mostly pleasant enough but you feel you are tolerated rather than welcomed, and one older guy is actively rude and dismissive. (Example: went in to buy some cloth handlebar tape. "We don't sell it. No one uses that any more." Shrugged and turned away.) I am sure that else where people's experiences are very different, but that's mine.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I agree with much of the above about the variability of the face-to-face retail experience.

What I want to suggest is that you give polite constructive feedback at the time to the person concerned, whether good or bad.

A compliment for good service leaves customer and staff member both feeling better. A comment such as "I'm getting the feeling that you are not interested in my business " is often enough to wake up the person concerned.

If the attitude persists you can walk away knowing you gave them the opportunity to improve.

I ordered some disco brake pads, cheaper, and after several days of waiting I just sent an email asking where they are..... Should have been delivered they said but can you wait another 8 days as it could be 11th before they arrive. Ordered 27th..... bog off wait till then. Asked for a refund and now had to order, from Wiggle/Chain Reaction, some Nukeproof M525 as none in stock with anyone local to me. 😠😠
The customer service agent said it’s better I cancel order so they don’t have to put a reason for non delivery down :wacko:
Disco brakes may well be cheaper than Shimano or Nukeproof replacement for TRP Spyres but they are cheap on customer service too. Buy cheap buy twice.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Speaking of LBS and a bit OT. How much would you guys expect to pay for an LBS to clean and regrease a cup and cone *front wheel bearing?

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I think the rule is to seek out the enthusiasts, rather than the establishment. My local Halfords guys are all bike-mad, between about 30 and 50, and will talk bikes all day long. They are all in the baggy shorts/MTB gear and prefer to talk mud and hills, but they are happy with any bike stuff. The LBS guys are mostly pleasant enough but you feel you are tolerated rather than welcomed, and one older guy is actively rude and dismissive. (Example: went in to buy some cloth handlebar tape. "We don't sell it. No one uses that any more." Shrugged and turned away.) I am sure that else where people's experiences are very different, but that's mine.
In that instance, the correct answer would be I'm sorry we don't stock it as very few people buy it, however I can get some in for you, what brand/type/colour do you want? it's not rocket science, and personally I know they can't stock everything, especially very slow moving items, but at least offer to help your customer, there's every chance they'll be back to buy more stuff from you, wind them up and they won't in both scenarios they'll tell people too, it's better to have praise, then have others know how unhelpful you are.

monkers

Veteran
I made an order to Wiggle. They sent via Hermes. The order was never delivered, no call was made to my home. Hermes eventually told me after I pestered them for days that they were returning the order to Wiggle with no explanation. Wiggle refused to refund me saying that the order had not been returned. A protracted dispute followed with both Wiggle and Hermes being uncommunative and uncooperative. It took two months and considerable effort to get my £50 refunded.

This week I ordered a pair of Bontrager cycling shoes from Triton Cycles at the bargain price of £39. Postage was included, they arrived in less that 24 hours via DPD. I received five emails from Triton in that period. In the box was a free packet of Haribo Starmix too, printed receipt, and a promise to accept the shoes back if I wasn't 100% satisified (although that's a Bontrager promise for any of their products even if in a sale).

They'll be my go to site next time I'm looking for something.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I made an order to Wiggle. They sent via Hermes. The order was never delivered, no call was made to my home. Hermes eventually told me after I pestered them for days that they were returning the order to Wiggle with no explanation. Wiggle refused to refund me saying that the order had not been returned. A protracted dispute followed with both Wiggle and Hermes being uncommunative and uncooperative.
There is something odd going on with Wiggle/Hermes at the moment and it can't be doing either company any good....

www.cyclechat.net/threads/wiggle-at-it-again-cursing.267857

I’m waiting on a Hermes delivery from CRC as we speak :hyper:...will it arrive ? Or will it be another disco brakes type failure ?

Our local Hermes courier is the bees knees.

On a morning he does the florist deliveries and then in the afternoon does the Hermes ones. Everyone knows him and looks out for him in his van. He disappeared for a while as he had to shield and there was a thread on Facebook asking if he was ok along with a birthday card appeal as it was his birthday while shielding. The courier got a few hundred cards!

Never had a problem with him and parcels always where they say they are.

Top Bottom