Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigTam

Über Member
I know they get a slating on most cycling forums and possibly rightly so but I can only speak as I find.

I had a nasty spill on my week old Boardman Hybrid Pro, wrecked the rear mech, hanger and dropout, was going to order new bits on the interweb thingy, but decided to throw bike on the back of the car, take it back to my local Halfords, assuming that they would have the parts in stock.

The Halfords guy looked at bike, seen that the chain had jumped off bottom cog on cassette, got his manager to look and he said, "looks like the chain has come off and jammed on the frame, we will sort that out under warranty", they didnt even ask how I had done it, I had actually hit a bit of mud on a path and lost control, stock tyres are crap, only crticism of the bike.

So whilst they may not be the best technically, they are, in my eyes spot on for customer service. :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Luck, some have it others do not.

sidevalve

Über Member
Like most stores the quality of service varies enormously store to store [and even mechanic to mechanic] I've found. Before just dismissing them it's worth giving 'em a try and talking to the guys doing the servicing not just the salesmen, after all, if you buy a car the man doing the selling aint usually the mot tester etc.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Standard seems to vary a lot from store to store. I have found them usefull for spares recently. Found a bottom bracket in stock at my local Halfords when I had wasted hours on the net unsuccessfully trying to find one from all the usual big internet suppliers.

If I buy parts from Halfords I allways order it on line for store collection , much cheaper than just going in and picking it off the shelf and taking it to the till. You still pay in the shop but get the net price.

potsy

Rambler
If I buy parts from Halfords I allways order it on line for store collection , much cheaper than just going in and picking it off the shelf and taking it to the till. You still pay in the shop but get the net price.
Last time I did that thinking it would be a good idea, especially as they had an offer on the product I wanted.
Got there and they said they didn't have any, and hadn't for weeks :scratch:and suggested I try Decathlon.
After a few minutes of discussion the 'salesman' let me have a similar product that wasn't on offer for the same deal :thumbsup:

akb

Veteran
I have praise for my local (Biggleswade) branch of Halfords. I aquired an old Halfords car cycling rack from my Dad, but the straps to hold the bike frame onto the carrier were missing. Went into my local store, had a chat with a guy in the parts department who introduced me to someone else. The parts I need have now been ordered, FOC might I add, and will be sent to my home address. Customer Service, IME is great and was double chuffed that I didnt have to pay for the straps, which would have cost about £20 in total if brought elsewhere.

scotty110788

i have countless praise for my local halfords, customer service is great and they have done so much for me and always offer me great advice on equipment, nearly all time i'm not advised to buy halfords own stuff ^_^

musa

Über Member
I suppose you win some you lose some, my one is right across the road from me (literally across) and I've made friends with them which is nice so they always willing to lend tools and that, what we forget is some of them are just salesman, and are 'taught' the basics of bike assembly.

However, it depends on the people, I once bought a car replacement mirror and when trying to place it, it dropped and smashed and the manager rand another store to get another one free, as I had just bought the last one. Claimed it as damaged on the system :boxing:

Alun

Guru
They're always handy at 5.30pm on a Saturday if you need something to fettle the bike before a Sunday morning ride.

screenman

Legendary Member
I once stopped a Hafrauds guy halfway through hammering a 27.2 seat pin into a 27 or less seat post, whilst the customer waited.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
And don't forget your LBS, you can have good ones and bad ones too.
I have two LBS in my town. The one I got my bike from is crap for service so I go to the other one if I need anything doing to it as they are very good.

GBC

Veteran
I've taken a deep breath, and advantage of their current 10% off bikes, and ordered a Carrera Virtuoso which I'll pick up tonight. Looking forward to it and it means the old Triumph will be able to take a back seat for a while, although the heir has been using it as well recently. There's hope for the boy yet:smile:

I have read various posts here which are quite critical of Halfords, but, like many here I'm sure, I apply an 80/20 rule to the veracity of what I see on forums and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. The last time I bought a new bike, a Raleigh to replace my Hercules, it was from Halfords and I don't remember having any complaints then...........although that was in 1967.

RAYMOND

Well i bought a boardman from halfords last year and was well pleased with the service.
However i purchased one a few weeks back,another boardman,paid for it online on the 20th last month.
Got the usual email updates and texts saying what was happening there side.
They said that the bike was shipped to my local store overnight.
Anyway i waited 5 days before goping in to see if it was ready as not recieved the usual text saying it was.
They knew nothing about the order,not on there computer.After a few calls to head office they clarified it was
ordered and paid for. So assistant said he could build one for me in a hour or wait a few more days for the one
to be resent(where did the original bike get too?)
As it was raining i didnt fancy riding a bike home or waiting a hour so i said text me in a few days when its ready.
Still no text or email ,i'll give them until tomorrow.
Not pleased :sad:

toroddf

I had the opposite experience. I bought a tent online on a Thursday afternoon and was told to pick it up on the following Monday. The local shop rang me Saturday morning and told me that the tent was ready to be picked up. So I did. Btw that too underpin RAYMOND's experiences above as it does not seems like their HQ has much of a clue on the deliveries. 48 hours delivery before agreed delivery is a bit strange. But I am not complaining.

Yesterday, I needed a new set of pedals. I was there at 0900 to deliver my bike and then collect it later that day/today. But they did it on the spot and even gave me a better offer than quoted online. I was out of the shop again 0930. And the pedals seems good too.

I get the feeling that the local variations is ranging from 5 stars to barely a 1 star rating. I would give my shop 5 stars. But I believe those who gives their local shop barely a 1 star rating. Halfords is only a name, but not a standard which applies nationwide. That is my personal impression. I am very happy with my shop though.

Top Bottom