Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Would everyone on this thread mind editing it to include the store in question. If you have more than one in your town/city then please specify which :-)

It should mean the good ones see an increase in business and the bad ones see a decrease.

How about widening the net to list other bike shops, be it a local or chain?

Bigsharn

Veteran
Came across a lass earlier today stood at the side of the road with her bike. Her rear derailleur had been caught in the rear wheel and snapped. I asked where she bought the bike from, and she said "Halford's, two days ago". I set her derailleur so it'd get her back home, and recommended she get her money back from Halford's and go to a local bike shop*, as they may be more expensive, but they actually know what they're doing.

*I never named an LBS because I believe people should build their own views of a shop rather than give recommendations, unless it's a huge high-street chain like Halford's/Evan's/ECC.

defy-one

Fair enough - I was thinking more along the lines of newbies like me who know very little of modern bikes. I could go to a recommended LBS and be safe in the knowledge that I wouldn't be ripped off, get bad customer service or be mis sold something. It's a war zone out there and everyone is after the consumers hard earned cash

Halfords Head Office customer service are rubbish. Asked when the Boardman Road Team would be back on promotion said they had no plans, as of 13/06. Ordered on line got a deal for spending over £700. Went to local store 16/06 to get pedals there it was with 15% off, £20 cheaper than I paid.

Boondoggle

Regular
My experiences(York branch) have been mixed. Bought a new, but not expensive bike where the bottom bracket was shot after 6 weeks. They replaced it on warranty without question after taking it back 4 times. I went to pick it up to find some of my accessories had also been removed from the bike. Quite puzzling as none of them needed removing to replace the bottom bracket.

I rang the customer services dept recently about being generally unhappy about the parts failure rate on a bike just 5 months old and was told there would be no refund unless I pay to get an independent expert to write a full report about the shortcomings of said bike. Oh and quite a few parts of the bike were missing when I picked it up in the first place. Various washers, seals, free cycle computer etc etc. It was just a few too many things to be acceptable imo. Part of the issue is that they sell some really inferior bikes that just don't meet basic requirements, the other issue being a real lack of attention to detail fro the staff. The free 6 week tighten up service is good, but they ignored many of the problems I pointed out to them when I dropped it off meaning I had to hang around the shop while they do what they should have done in the first place.

In happier news the guy I dealt with today about my rim problems was knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful. I still ended up paying for stuff I don't feel I should have, but hey the problem got fixed. I won't buy a bike from them again.

Enid Agnus Dei

A friend of mine took her cycle in for her 6 months service, she collected it on the way home changed gear and the chain came off the sprocket and wedge between the frame and wheel, she luckily wasn't hurt.

I went to recover her cycle and it had to be walked back a distance of 6 miles I had a look at it, not only was the back wheel lose on one side but the front brake blocks were lose too, as she had no car to return it to Halfords, I was asked to make it road worthy which I did, I rang Halfords to say why I had fixed it to be told because I had fixed it they wouldn't touch it or admit they was at fault!

The last cycle I bought from them was a joke and all the day was to keep fobbing me off with lies until in the end I lost in with them and oddly enough a new sealed bottom bracket was fitted!

I'd warn EVERYONE not to go within a mile of Halfords if I was to say they are rubbish that wouldn't be strong enough, please beware of Halfords fellow cyclists, I'd not tust them at all.

Boondoggle

Regular
A friend of mine took her cycle in for her 6 months service, she collected it on the way home changed gear and the chain came off the sprocket and wedge between the frame and wheel, she luckily wasn't hurt.

I went to recover her cycle and it had to be walked back a distance of 6 miles I had a look at it, not only was the back wheel lose on one side but the front brake blocks were lose too, as she had no car to return it to Halfords, I was asked to make it road worthy which I did, I rang Halfords to say why I had fixed it to be told because I had fixed it they wouldn't touch it or admit they was at fault!

The last cycle I bought from them was a joke and all the day was to keep fobbing me off with lies until in the end I lost in with them and oddly enough a new sealed bottom bracket was fitted!

I'd warn EVERYONE not to go within a mile of Halfords if I was to say they are rubbish that wouldn't be strong enough, please beware of Halfords fellow cyclists, I'd not tust them at all.

I've experienced every one of those problems.

Enid Agnus Dei

And the one they closed on Market street was as bad too!

If you ever get stuck for a repair let me know.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Most stores have at least one trained mechanic or a couple of 'proper' cyclists. If you go in when they're there, you get good service. Any other time and it's a case of pot luck.

swampyseifer

I dont know if this is really a fault of Halfords, but that bike I got, which originally was sold as a package deal by them....I tried putting the mudguards on the bike...the fixtures arent big enough to go round the frame tubes!

Still havent been out on it....

Boondoggle

Regular
I dont know if this is really a fault of Halfords, but that bike I got, which originally was sold as a package deal by them....I tried putting the mudguards on the bike...the fixtures arent big enough to go round the frame tubes!

Still havent been out on it....

Sold as a package deal, yup it's their fault. Like selling monster truck tyres to a Ford Focus owner.

swampyseifer

Unless I'm doing it wrong...I did spend several hours, when putting my first bike together, getting frustrated why the brakes wouldnt fit right...

I was putting them on upside down:wacko:

Top Bottom