Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Interesting point dellzeqq, and an interesting reaction from some posters.

Halfords clearly want some input into an effort to rebrand themselves. It appears that many posters on here are stuck with the negative stories. Where I agree that the negatives are poor, if not downright criminal, does that necessarily mean that the store will never be able to recover and compete (at least in the minds of the cycling snobs)?

I own and ride a Boardman. It is very good quality, and excellent value for money. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

The store I used is staffed by keen cyclists, and the bike was reasonably well put together. I am a perfectionist when it comes to expecting componentry to do as it should, so I did a small amount of adjusting and tweaking, but the bike was not dangerous in its original state.

I don't find their clothing or accessories cheap or attractive, and they are so busy selling tat like pink plastic horns and barbie helmets that they forget they could be knocking out shoes and clipless pedals if they were only to think a bit broader.

They need, as most have identified, to invest in staff that are trained or knowledgable. I once went to Bradford where the kid tried to sell me a Boardman Hybrid Pro Ltd "cos carbon brake levers are good." I asked him about the gearing and thought he was going to burst into tears. B)

Irritatingly then they sell some good bikes, crap overpriced spares and nothing I actually want (I once tried to buy some loose bearings.....). For that reason I will buy the bike there, look after it myself, and go to the LBS for spares. Halfords, if they got it right, could corner the whole market but for a bit of thought.

doctorj

dellzeqq said:
If you were invited on to a really hip, happening bike ride that was sponsored by Halfords, would you be less inclined to go?

I'm new the world of cycling, so I don't really understand the point of a sponsored ride, however reading the other responses, I'm guessing they're an accepted concept so I won't question the basic idea. For me, the real issue is will them sponsoring a ride, whether or not I attend, increase the probability of me purchasing a bike from them in the future?

I'd have to say, probably not. As someone else said, the best way to do it would be a demonstration of their expertise and perhaps a ride might provide a forum for that - they could offer a free safety check by one of their trained mechanics & tuition on bike maintainance for example.
If they want to change their image, they have to deal with the underlying issue first. Building relationship is a good thing, but in my opinion, that has to be step 2.

Cubist, I'm not a snob. I've gone into Halfords to buy, but not found what I wanted. Their kit is too expensive. I've heard many people say that their Carrera etc bikes are good value and would ride one if I had one.

I just don't want them sending people out the door on bikes that might get them killed, especially with a spurious "Safety Certificate".

And I especially don't want them cornering the market. I like my LBS. They gave me a free bike once.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my carrera virtuoso was set up perfectly in 2004. a couple of years later i bought my daughter a bike there and it was built by imbeciles.

turns out that i got very lucky in 2004 as the chap who built my carrera soon after went to ply his trade in a respected local(ish) bike shop.

these days, i would only buy from them if it's parts, or if i could build the bike myself.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Twenty Inch said:
Cubist, I'm not a snob. I've gone into Halfords to buy, but not found what I wanted. Their kit is too expensive. I've heard many people say that their Carrera etc bikes are good value and would ride one if I had one.

I just don't want them sending people out the door on bikes that might get them killed, especially with a spurious "Safety Certificate".

And I especially don't want them cornering the market. I like my LBS. They gave me a free bike once.
Exactly. In the first paragraph you agree that their bikes are good, but the kit etc is not. I belive it simply does not represent good value for money.

Your second point is also given. To send poorly or dangerously set up bikes out at the point of sale is just unforgiveable; no amount of "bring it back and we'll sort it out for you " will do. They MUST get it right first time. I use the fact that my bike was well set up as a foil for the countless "my forks fell off" stories.

I don't nmean that they should corner the market, but they could be up there with Decathlon and Evans etc . No one is going to suggest that this will be good for independent retailers, but ask your average person returning to cycling or buying a christmas bike for the kids whether they will be considering dropping into Halfords to check out what's available.

As with supermarkets, some people will be happy to buy their Chardonnay at the same time as their cat litter and pasta shells, oblivious to the fact that were they to visit an independent wine merchant they would have a wider choice and expert opinion to help with their choices. They would end up with a wine to suit the very meal or occasion, sold with the actual depth of their pockets in mind. They may even be tempted to ride along on the enthusiasm of the merchant's knowledge and professionalism, and be tempted to indulge in a bit more "bespoke" wine buying.

So it will be with Halfords. Once Halfords realise that they have a responsibility to get the bike side of their business in order with properly trained, caring and enthusiastic, knowledgeable staff, then they will be able to command better respect from the "cycling fraternity". If they do so, and actually listen to what cyclists want from a store, they'll stop selling crap shorts and gloves as well!

I find two distinct advantages with them, for me:
1. They're local.
2. They're open longer hours than most others (esp. Sundays).

Being suddenly stuck in want of, say, an inner on a fine Sunday morn - no better answer!

So what'll I buy from them? Inners, patches, rubber solution, that sort of thing certainly, I don't have any problems. Brake and gear cables seem to be fine too. I used to get my brake blocks there (Clarks or whatever they're called) but I've since learnt my error (I now buy Koolstops in bulk, on-line, from elsewhere). Don't use their brake blocks, they'll graunch up your rims!

Also they do a line in very cheap road or MTB wheels (or at least they used to) - on my shopper bike where I try to limit expenditure and it's only used for trips to the supermarket - OK. The wheels are nothing special but they go round, that's all that matters!

As for complete bikes: I personally would avoid! A colleague bought a kid's bike for her daughter once. Luckily I got a chance to look it over before she took it home. Brakes were inoperative. I fixed them, but, foolishly, neither I nor my colleague took it up with Halfords.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
well the point where i finally get my boardman may be getting close. there is no other bike out there that tickles my fancy like this one but....

im absolutely dreading letting halfords touch the thing, i really just want to collect it still boxed and run.

the point its... halfords are spoiling an otherwise happy experience. if i could buy this bike anywhere else i would. says it all really :wacko:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I collected a Boardman Comp-SC from them last Saturday. Very friendly and helpful staff who seemed to know their stuff but it's the St Paul's branch which I think may technically still be classed as a Bikehut. They have been helpful in the past and most of the staff are keen cyclists, so I suppose it just depends on which branch you use...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
depends what you get from there, clothing is expensive IMO and the staff are at the lower end of the experience/skill range but I've always found them helpful and try to do the right thing.

bought a couple of kids bikes and they were set up adequately and were rideable from the off.

I get usual bits of components (cables, chain connectors, tubes) etc there as they're the closest to my house when I'm fettling, open later than everyone elses after a day at work and I don't need top of the range weight : cost ratio as my bike is a jeep not a finely honed racing feather.

I use topeak and bikehut barbags and rack packs and they're fine, spacious, waterproof sturdy and at least half the price of many alternatives. In their recent sales I got a new briefcase bag (old one was years old, used very regularly still serviceable but getting a bit tatty for meetings) and a simple but serviceable sigma bike computer for 50p each.

snobbery has a lot to do with their perception but my LBS has been taken over by a bunch of A**es and has been totally ruined overnight by poor service hiked prices and minimal experience. Suddenly Halfords don't look half as bad as they did when Malc was just up the street.

Bike team - meh. so have Raleigh and I've not dashed out to buy one of those nor do my Humvees make me jump up and down at Endura's showing in the Tour series

Midnight

a) Last summer, got a puncture in town around 6:30pm and wasn't carrying a spare (yes, I know...). less than 200 yards from Ha...... . One staff member was busy with a customer, the other was chatting to his girlfriend on the phone (I heard him arranging a date). I waited patiently for 10 minutes 'til someone was free. Bought innertube and asked if they could fit it, but was told "we're very busy, but if you want to leave your bike it will be about a week before we can fit your puncture" :wacko: So I asked if I could borrow levers and pump, reply was it's not company policy to lend tools. As a result I had a 2 mile walk home! (Damned if I was gonna buy another pump etc...)

Now I realise they may have been booked up, but when I left, other staff member was still on the phone to his girlfriend, and how long does it take to fix a puncture?.

About a month later, was all ready to purchase a Boardman roadbike, but they lost the deal when staff member said it had a 68 tooth front cog - a quick glance confirmed he was talking out of his rectum.

:smile: I value the opinions of other cyclists, and I'm sure you've noticed that they don't have the best reputation.

c) Their involvement in racing makes me question their motives. Is the company just trying to cash in on the growing cycle market.

d) My local branch only seems to employ younger members of staff - are they cheaper to employ? If the company wants to be taken seriously by cyclists, then they have to get serious about bikes. Improve customer care and staffs technical abilities.

A decent bike shop is a good idea and there are plenty, but not Ha.......

Phew! Rant over, I need to lie down now.

battered

Guru
Yes, younger people are cheaper. Minimum wage of £5.90 or £6 (whatever it is now) only applies if you are over 19 (iirc) and there's a lower minimum for younger people. The difference is quite a lot, it's definitely sub £5 an hour. That's why places like cafes employ 16 year olds who are still in school, if you are only dishing out teas and washing pots the lack of life experience is hardly an issue. If however someone wants to know how to remove a worn out bottom bracket, then 16 year old Kyle/Kylie is unlikely to be the best source of advice.

CharlesF

Guru
For me, Halfords is the Asda of bike buying and the surrounding LBS the Waitrose (most of them anyway). I don't expect them to have any knowledge and have never asked for advice.

I work across the road from a Halfords but only use them for emergencies, simple items. With my previous bike, I asked them if I could drop it off for a service and was told there was a two week wait for a slot. Now, I have never ever seen anyone taking a bike in for a service. Luckily I didn't use them; dropped the bile off at a LBS, two hours to service and a tenth of the price Halfords quoted.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
When I walk into a bike shop I always feel a certain passion and excitement, Halfords doesn't do it for me though.

mikeitup

Veteran
I got my 2007 Carrera Fury from one of my local stores. Great bike for the money. (nice discount using coco-pops coupon). Unfortunately the gears were not set up properly. Took it back 3 times each time told it was fine.
In the end took it to LBS and had it serviced. Best £30 I've spent. After that rode like a dream.
Still use them very occasionally for accessories.

Top Bottom