Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
doctorj said:
d) Halfords need to employ staff with the training, experience and technical skills to give me the confidence that they take my safety seriously. The margin for error when cycling on London’s streets is so small and the consequences so dire that it’s almost criminal to knowingly provide a lesser service.

You should remove the word "almost" from your post. Class action lawsuit anyone?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's all very, very helpful. And, happily, pretty much in line with my little spiel to the people who are re-branding Halfords, or attempting to. It seems that the start point is the staff and the reliability, not to say safety of the bikes when they leave the shop.

Doing the Dr. Bike thing last year was a real eye-opener - the quality and safety of the bikes coming out of Halfords was totally horrible, but, even if the price dictated a 45 pound clunker there's no excuse for brakes not working or spokes flapping in the breeze.

Now for the killer question. Don't spare me your deepest, darkest thoughts, but, in deference to Shaun, could you please keep the asterisks to a minimum.

If you were invited on to a really hip, happening bike ride that was sponsored by Halfords, would you be less inclined to go?

Howard

dellzeqq said:
If you were invited on to a really hip, happening bike ride that was sponsored by Halfords, would you be less inclined to go?

If the ride looks good I don't really care who sponsors it... well, as long as the company isn't evil or anything. Halfords aren't evil, just silly.

rh100

dellzeqq said:
hip, happening bike ride ........ sponsored by Halfords

erm.....if they were to sponsor a car rally, would it not attract the souped up clio crowd?

I doubt it really, I could see the casual cyclists maybe going for it, sort of people that don't consider anything about bikes beyond very occasional use and no interest in the bike itself, but any serious users may see it a bit gimmicky maybe?

Are we talking an event created by Halfords for there own ends? Or just them happening to be a sponsor of something for a more worthy cause? Just don't let them provide the mechanics for your Friday runs though ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Howard said:
If the ride looks good I don't really care who sponsors it... well, as long as the company isn't evil or anything. Halfords aren't evil, just silly.

Although the BPFNRttC does at least have the attraction of assonance...

Dellzeqq Enterprises are pleased to announce the latest in the series of 'Pocketliner Rides', so come along and join in the fun. Each participant will get their seat polished in expert fashion by by Halford's very own Eddy Merckury. Refreshments will be available - every participant gets a sandwich filled with 'conversational paste' (Value £1.79) - plus a signed copy of dellzeqq's latest cycling blockbuster 'Fly By Night Rider to the Costa' - a two-wheeled terror thriller set in the environs of Gatwick - London's leading cycling friendly airport. Sign up now and tell your friends! (They'll avoid you like the plague...)

;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Quite correct. And if there is freebie stuff to be had, people will turn up,

User3143 said:
;) It's a bike ride innit? What difference does it make if it is sponsored by Halfords?

Evans are not that much better in terms of service then Halfords imho - but their organised rides that they do are alright (So I've been told).

Norm

Howard said:

User3143 said:
;) It's a bike ride innit? What difference does it make if it is sponsored by Halfords?
+1 and +1

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
I take it that's kicked in to touch then.......

Nah - just teasing. We'll still sign up for the HFNRttC, as long as we can drop our aitches when referring to it and we don't have to wear branded t-shirts...

I would go if I were confident that they have addressed the dangerous issues that have arisen on this thread. Otherwise, attending a ride would look like endorsing them, and I won't do that.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Perhaps they could sponsor community bike maintainence workshops over the summer by proving trained staff and tools (having first made sure all their staff are trained to a suitable level of course).

Where there is an existing local scheme they could buddy up to provide an offshoot outside a Halford's store on Sunday afternoons (therefore visible to people who might never find out about a low key local initiative), where there is no existing local scheme they could just provide one.

(Buddy-up is important because if they are trying to attract 'serious' cyclists the last thing they should do is alienate people already providing this sort of service)

If they work, sponsoring rides would be an easy, natural offshoot that would be publicised through the workshops where there is already a natural audience

The Halfords staff would be there to provide instructions for beginners and assistance for people who know mostly what they are doing but need reassurance. People who know what they are doing would get access to expensive tools they might not justify buying for themselves.

Then Halfords would be very visibly associating themselves with technical expertise, providing services valuable to cyclists of all levels, and more importantly putting their staff's expertise on display to be judged by their customers so they would have to step up.

Top Bottom