Halitosis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

Embarrassing one here alright. Have been informed that my breath is, um, less than fresh and I'm trying to sort it. Dental & general health are good as far as I know so I'm not sure what action to take beyond the obvious mouthwash. Anyone have any suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you seen a dentist?
Assume you use an electric toothbrush
Frequent flossing? Esp to get rid of meat
Try a medicated mouthwash like oraldene.

Any reflux? Bowel issues?
Any medication that can cause dry mouth like an anti depressant?
If so, see a Dr too

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bad-breath/

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
A tongue scraper kept with your toothbrush? It's amazing what you can get off your tongue with one of those. A short term remedy, need to follow up other posters' suggestions. A very descriptive word, halitosis. It makes you breathe all over everyone when you say it. Hhhhhhalitosis.
I hope you manage to sort it out with a simple solution.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Stress perhaps?

Back in the day I too had that. Finding new digs and subsequently divorce sorted it out. Obviously there are many other causes of stress, so domestic unhappiness is just my own example

presta

Guru
About 12-13 years ago I had a crown on a back tooth. The dentist took the top of the tooth off, took a cast, then covered it with a temporary filling for a week or two whilst the crown was being made.

Within 36 hours I had a foul taste in my mouth, and when I rubbed the top of the temporary filling, the tip of my finger smelt exactly like I'd just put it up my bum. No smell from anywhere else in my mouth, just the temporary filling. I went straight back but just got told to clean my teeth more carefully by a smirking dentist. I hadn't been cleaning that tooth any differently for the last 48 hours than I'd been cleaning all my teeth for the previous 50 odd years, so it was hardly surprising that upping my dental hygiene made no difference at all. I went to another dentist for a second opinion, and got a second lecture on cleaning my teeth, so I've just lived with it for over a decade now.

Three months ago the crown fell off, and there on the underside of the crown was that familiar smell of sh!t....

Broadside

Guru
Embarrassing one here alright. Have been informed that my breath is, um, less than fresh and I'm trying to sort it. Dental & general health are good as far as I know so I'm not sure what action to take beyond the obvious mouthwash. Anyone have any suggestions?

IME mouthwash will temporarily mask any smell but won’t fix it. Try some Tepe interdental brush sticks, I started using them a year ago and get some food fragments everyday. Those fragments that can’t be reached by brushing quickly rot and it is the rot that stinks. They are so quick to use and far easier and much more effective than flossing which can push food down in to the gums rather than pushing it through and out.

Try them, you will probably be amazed at what comes out and how much fresher your breath will be.

midlife

Guru
If the dentist has ruled out something "dental" then the next thing is tongue scraper and CB 12 to eliminate (ish) sulphur compounds.

No joy with that then its ENT and if not the stomach.

Top Bottom