1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hammer Rash

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by graham56, 16 Dec 2007.

1. graham56

graham56 Veteran

I was called out to attend a gas escape at 1:45 this morning, at around 5:30 developed a bad case of Hammer Rash after hitting the knuckles of my left hand with a 4lb hammer.:smile: Left Penrith at 7:00 and had an painful 1.5 hour drive home. Got so bad i visited Hexham Hospital where after x-rays have been told i`ve managed to break my middle finger. So tomorrow i`m off to the fracture clinic where no doubt i`ll be fitted with some sort of splint - 3 weeks min. i have been told.:evil:
    The only good thing is i`ll not be at work over the Xmas and New Year^_^
    but sadly no cycling for a few weeks:sad:

2. ouch!

still trying to work out how you hit your knuckles with the hammer though.

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Get on the turbo !!! Good call..... off for xmas - no call outs then !

4. yenrod

yenrod Guest

2nd'd !

5. Slowgrind

Slowgrind New Member

Hammer rash is an everyday occurrence in my occupation. My mate always says "Just say b@$t@rd and get on with it!" Three weeks down the line and I`m thinking I wish I went to A+E with this one, and you do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. longers

longers Veteran

+1. I usually manage to hit myself in exactly the same spot as well.
    We get a fair bit of scalpel rash too.

Yours sounds a bit sore though Graham. Not your drinking arm hopefully.

7. graham56

graham56 Veteran

When the doctor asked "was it my whole finger ?" i had to reply "no it`s the one next to it." ;) :biggrin: Don`t think he got the the joke somehow.

8. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

This is a bit odd. You would think that blokes who worked with hammers professionally would never whack themesleves, what with being professionals and all. I suppose that puts you on a par with the England football team.

9. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

:smile::biggrin: Done it a few times myself, so i empathise graham.

Take your eyes off the item youre hitting for one second.....:biggrin:

The key is to keep your eye on the ball (or chisel).....it really is like football innit ;)

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I can sympathise with you Graham, last Thursday at work while typing a pretty important email I managed to chip the fingernail on my right index finger :biggrin:

I did report the incident to my boss and explained to him that I may need to take some time off because of it but the git just told me to say B@5tard and get on with it!! ;) Unbelievable!

11. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Always best to avoid alcohol when you are wearing a splint, something about blood circulation.;)

12. My commiserations. Although that's quite a comedy injury and one of which you should be rightfully proud.
    The middle finger on my left hand is currently out of action because it's full of stitches after surgery. Which is a bugger generally, but you get used to it. Hope you're less of a grumpy patient than I am...

13. graham56

graham56 Veteran

I certainly wasn`t laughing at the time Kirstie but am now, saw the consultant this afternoon and no work for at least 6 weeks.;) Will try and get back in the saddle before that time though, fingers crossed.

14. can you actually cross them?

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

The worst work related injury I heard of was the guy who just chucked the circular saw on the floor while it was still spinning, it wnet up his leg and chomped on his tackle in a big way! ;)