Hampshire Hilly 100 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Thanks Baggy. I have never ridden an Audax ride but this sounds like good preparation for us and I've wondered what they are like. Really appreciate your posts. I've asked my husband and he's up for it so its just down to finding a babysitter! Thanks RuthieB
Glad if I can be of some use! It sounds as if your training is going pretty well.

Have found some more info on the Coastlet on the Wessex CTC website, which includes a link to the route sheet. The route sheets always make more sense when you're riding, but at least give you some idea of where the ride goes. In this case, it does take in some good hills, but it should have some good views as well! Shorter Audax rides are usually fairly relaxed and good fun, with people of all ages. Good luck with the babysitter!

My husband's family live in Dorset so we might put in an appearance, too.

the snail

Guru
The route sheets always make more sense when you're riding, but at least give you some idea of where the ride goes.

Hope you enjoy your ride(s) Ruthie, and doing the Coastlet would be great preparation. I'd suggest taking a map too, if you go wrong it can be tricky trying to get back onto the route without a map.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thanks Baggy, that is so helpful. I'm going to try a longer ride on Monday and see how I get on. Went out today with my husband and now I'm worrying about his fitness ...aagh!

Thanks for the advice and good wishes Snail. I'm absolutely rubbish at directions and map reading so map and iphone with GPS will be vital, thanks for pointing that out! So much to think about.
RuthieB

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Loads of good advice allready in all your replies from people much more experienced than me.

I did my first 100 mile plus sportive last year. You need to do plenty of training onn similar terrain but its vital that you start tapering off about 10 days before and do very little cycling in the week before the event

.By the time you do the ride you will be itching to go and firing on all cylinders. If you overtrain and arrive at the start tired you wont enjoy it or achieve your best performance.

In your excitement dont forget too eat/drink or set off too fast.

Good Luck You will enjoy it.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Hi Banjo, thanks for that.

I will have to resist the temptation to do some last minute training! I've a feeling that my husband will prevent us starting off too quickly, he's not been able to do as much training as me. I'm sending him off for a ride round the Purbecks tomorrow and he's not to come home until he's done a decent loop round (lucky thing) and I'll do the babysitting.
RuthieB

jay clock

Massive member
How did it go? I did it and have been doing a lot of cycling including a 100 miler 2 weeks back. The main feature was PUNCTURES. I cunningly slipped on a new pair of Gatorskins last night which helped me avoid any (just lick I think), but at a guess about 35% of the field had one and I spoke to dozens who had 3 or 4. The heavy rain washed flints into the road, although we had no rain during the day.

A good long hard ride and great prep for my triathlons (half and full Ironman) and nice to know that training really does help

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Hi Jay
Well done, sounds like you had a good ride.

It was a really challenging day :smile:. Yes I had a puncture along with so many others. My husband wasn't feeling well and ended up throwing up at around 70 miles, he felt better after that. I ran out of steam at 80 miles and limped home. BUT we did it. This time last year I had no bike of my own and the idea of cycling 50 miles let alone 100 miles was a bit of a dream. So we're ignoring the time ..... We'll be quicker next year :smile:
RuthieB

jay clock

Massive member
Hi Jay

It was a really challenging day :smile:. Yes I had a puncture along with so many others. My husband wasn't feeling well and ended up throwing up at around 70 miles, he felt better after that. I ran out of steam at 80 miles and limped home. BUT we did it. This time last year I had no bike of my own and the idea of cycling 50 miles let alone 100 miles was a bit of a dream. So we're ignoring the time ..... We'll be quicker next year :smile:
RuthieB

I am very impressed. A tough event to do as your first biggie! What you will find is you mental attitude will now be iron strong if you enter a few shorter events.

Jay

the snail

Guru
Hi Jay

RuthieB

Well done Ruthie
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom