Hand Ache...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also bar ends in your situation are only currently going to make things worse - because where you are holding the bars will be made further away from the seat not closer, so will not acheive what you are after. The more I hear, the more I am convinced you need a shorter higher stem. Something I have to do with almost all of my bikes.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Also bar ends in your situation are only currently going to make things worse - because where you are holding the bars will be made further away from the seat not closer, so will not acheive what you are after. The more I hear, the more I am convinced you need a shorter higher stem. Something I have to do with almost all of my bikes.

Loads of good info..
I will take some photo's of bike and stick on here to give a better view on things later today and with your pictures of the bars..
Not as straight as the first but not as bent as the second photo..

Laters :smile:

Motozulu

Über Member
sounds like a low riser bar on the Trek?

Object is to rotate it so that it forces you to sit more upright (less weight on wrists/hands).

Unless the bike is the wrong size for you that should do it. My LBS set my saddle height whilst I had my MTB shoes on and said that was perfect for me - he said it was for me to fiddle with the bars til it felt right. Thought of going to your LBS and asking him to help you set the saddle to pedal height for you? if you still can't get the hands right after playing with your current bars then maybe a high riser and/or a shorter stem may be the next step.

lukesdad

Out of interest boon 51 are you feeling anything between your shoulder blades at the top of your back or the bottom of your neck ?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just been out for a ride and done a few tests and this is what I found..

First normal riding with hands in the normal position.. Now I put my thumb and index finger together and rest them on the bars and that feels lots better, the other thing I tried was making a clench fist and resting my fist on the bars that also makes a lot of difference.
So I guessing the bars need to be raised up or raised up and back a bit..
Hope that makes sense..

Just been out for a ride and done a few tests and this is what I found..

First normal riding with hands in the normal position.. Now I put my thumb and index finger together and rest them on the bars and that feels lots better, the other thing I tried was making a clench fist and resting my fist on the bars that also makes a lot of difference.
So I guessing the bars need to be raised up or raised up and back a bit..
Hope that makes sense..
Think you would be better of with a shorter stem with a rise...(you could consider a new set of 2" riser bars if you think there is a chance it will give you enough reach, depends what you are happier changing)
But you need to know what sizes you are after. At a guess it should be 31.8mm and 31.8mm but this is no guarentee however I think most modern mtbs are that combination but you need to check and the easiest way is to measure what is there (talk about stating the bl***dy obvious - sorry).
Now you will need to take a guess or find a helpful LBS and work out what distance shorter & higher you need.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhs-25-highrise-oversize-stem/ for example this comes in 70mm, 90mm and 110mm lengths with a 35 degree rise. You can get all sorts of different angles and lengths (not to mention diameters at each end..) just to really make life fun.

What do you have on there currently guessing flat 110mm? (measure centre to centre for length).

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Think you would be better of with a shorter stem with a rise...(you could consider a new set of 2" riser bars if you think there is a chance it will give you enough reach, depends what you are happier changing)
But you need to know what sizes you are after. At a guess it should be 31.8mm and 31.8mm but this is no guarentee however I think most modern mtbs are that combination but you need to check and the easiest way is to measure what is there (talk about stating the bl***dy obvious - sorry).
Now you will need to take a guess or find a helpful LBS and work out what distance shorter & higher you need.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhs-25-highrise-oversize-stem/ for example this comes in 70mm, 90mm and 110mm lengths with a 35 degree rise. You can get all sorts of different angles and lengths (not to mention diameters at each end..) just to really make life fun.

What do you have on there currently guessing flat 110mm? (measure centre to centre for length).

Your right it is 110mm and I have photo's but I have to go to Malaga airport to pick some friends up so I will post photo's asap..

Cheers..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Here are the photos as promised
2a678fr.jpg

15f1ulw.jpg

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Sorry about the writing on another post my pooter is playing up..
The seat on the first photo has to be raised about 5mm to 10mm but you can see how the bike is set up..

Sorry about the writing on another post my pooter is playing up..
The seat on the first photo has to be raised about 5mm to 10mm but you can see how the bike is set up..

Assuming that you have sufficient length left on the seat post to increase the height without going pas the "don't go higher than this mark" mark, I would change to a 90mm 35 degree stem or to something similar. Bear in mind that the longer the length of the replacement stem, the higher the bars, but the further away from you they will also be. You can get adjustable angle stems - they are not something that I have tried. Your bars look like 1" oversized riser bars to me.

If it was me, I would also be changing the grips as well, but I have a bad hand. I'll try to post a picture of my mtb set up for you if I can, either that or my tourer which as same grips & bar ends + really short stem & some non-standard riser bars.

lulubel

Über Member
It does look quite stretched out to me. (Compare with this, which is the bike my OH has got. The frame is shorter, and it also has a shorter stem.)

Also, you've got your saddle very slightly nose down, which will be putting more weight onto your hands. I found when I started riding my MTB, I had to position the saddle with the nose slightly higher than normal (on my road bike, it's horizontal, on the MTB, slightly nose up) to work with the more upright body position.

I'd also change those grips. Now that I've ridden with ergo grips, I wouldn't go back.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
It does look quite stretched out to me. (Compare with this, which is the bike my OH has got. The frame is shorter, and it also has a shorter stem.)

Also, you've got your saddle very slightly nose down, which will be putting more weight onto your hands. I found when I started riding my MTB, I had to position the saddle with the nose slightly higher than normal (on my road bike, it's horizontal, on the MTB, slightly nose up) to work with the more upright body position.

I'd also change those grips. Now that I've ridden with ergo grips, I wouldn't go back.

I did have the saddle set level but I became sore very soon and it was uncomfortable hence the nose down.. so no more soreness set like this but now my palms hurt.
Your right with the grips they are most uncomfortable..
Perhaps shorter stem and new bars but I'm not too far away from comfort and not too bothered about costs..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Assuming that you have sufficient length left on the seat post to increase the height without going pas the "don't go higher than this mark" mark, I would change to a 90mm 35 degree stem or to something similar. Bear in mind that the longer the length of the replacement stem, the higher the bars, but the further away from you they will also be. You can get adjustable angle stems - they are not something that I have tried. Your bars look like 1" oversized riser bars to me.

If it was me, I would also be changing the grips as well, but I have a bad hand. I'll try to post a picture of my mtb set up for you if I can, either that or my tourer which as same grips & bar ends + really short stem & some non-standard riser bars.

Perhaps a shorter stem and a change of bars like the one's you posted earlier.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Overnight I was thinking as you do..

I have just got a new Giant TCR 1 and the set up is perfect I feel if I have to spend a little to get my Trek mtb right its no problem, but I dont want to buy more than I have to so would it be better to get a shorter stem first or get the handle bars first..
What do you reckon?

Top Bottom