Hand Pump which actually works

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
probably hard work

Which is why I am a gas fan.

screenman

Legendary Member
Gas is good. But I ran into two guys in Cambridgeshire, walking a mile or more to the nearest station in road shoes, because they'd somehow messed up and expelled 2 cartridges into the atmosphere. Lucky for them, I had my Lenzyme micro floor pump, and time on my hands.

So was that the gas at fault or the guys that did not know how to use it.

So was that the gas at fault or the guys that did not know how to use it.
Oh, the guys, totally.

But there they were, stuck because they were idiots. I am also an idiot, so if I go gas, I will carry a pump with me as well.

It was on my solo 300km audax, and the first time where I felt enough in control of my ride to have time to help someone else without risking not completing.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am not an idiot then it seems, however I have a mini lump on all bikes as well as the gas. Did I tell you about a bloke whose tyre I pumped up with gas because his pump broke.

Check those pumps guys, they can got bits up when not used for a long time.

compo

Veteran
I gave up trying these mini toys and reverted to using my full length Bluemells. I have had it over 30 years and it still pumps up as good as when new. I have a couple of Topeak mini pumps but they have migrated to the bottom of the cupboard somehere. I have just bought another full length pump (Raleigh) for my newly built roadbike. I have also read several postings over the years on here about people damaging their valves using mini pumps. I prefer the flexible connectors. I am not saying I'm right and others are wrong. Like most things whatever you get on with you will use.

screenman

Legendary Member
Damn you @screenman, now I am taking both portable pumps with me .

No, just check that the one that is on the bike works before you go out for a ride. Then carry some gas^_^

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What about a combination pump such as the PDW Magic Flute or the £10 Lifeline one on Wiggle. Hand pump to get some air into the tube to help find the hole and then to make sure it's properly seated once fixed or replaced, then release the gas for full inflation.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not sure what type of tyre the OP wants to inflate.

As a bike shop mechanic said to me, the fatter the tyre, the fatter the pump you need to inflate it.

I found this out the hard way recently when my Blackburn Air Stick wouldn't put more than about 20psi in 20" balloon tyres.

Top Bottom