Handedness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
To see if I'm just odd, or it's something that others experience.
My dominant hand is my right. However, for as long as I can recall, I instinctively use my left hand for certain tasks; playing cards, shelling eggs, eating crisps, picking things up, counting or distributing leaflets, using the keypad on a cellphone and so on. I can do these things right handed, but less efficiently. I've been told whether rightly or wrongly, that this is call 'share handed'.
I suppose it's simply down to how my brain is wired, but does anyone else do this - ? :whistle:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Leftie for everything here.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm right handed, but left hand dominant. It's not unusual, Dr Tom Jones told me.

Anything requiring dexterity such as handwriting, picking my nose, rolling a fag, it's my right hand. Anything requiring a bit of unrefined heft tends to have my left hand into play. Doc thought it might be because of injury - my right arm is full of mecanno, outer 2 fingers have no feeling and don't quite work properly - as people can change dominance but not normally handedness.

Last edited:
I been Ayn Randed, nearly branded
Communist, 'cause I'm left-handed
That's the hand I use, well, never mind
” Paul Simon

I’m a leftie for most things but I play golf and cricket right handed. Can use a screwdriver with either hand but other tools all left handed. Cut bread left hand and use cutlery same as most other folk

Slick

Guru
I'm right handed, but left hand dominant. It's not unusual, Dr Tom Jones told me.

Anything requiring dexterity such as handwriting, picking my nose, rolling a fag, it's my right hand. Anything requiring a bit of unrefined heft tends to have my left hand into play. Doc thought it might be because of injury - my right arm is full of mecanno, outer 2 fingers have no feeling and don't quite work properly - as people can change dominance but not normally handedness.

I'm much the same. Very much right handed, but as a scaffolder I carried tonnes of material on my left shoulder, much to the annoyance of anyone working with me, as they would need to turn round to stack material if I set it down first. I haven't met anyone the same, but I don't suppose that means much.

Dadam

Left handed here for most things that need dexterity particularly writing etc. Archery and rifle shooting I do right handed, which may or may not be related to being very slightly right eye dominant. I play badminton etc left handed but I could probably be not much worse playing right handed. I don't play golf and cricket if I can at all avoid it but I'd use the golf bat and cricket racquet right handed. I play pool and snooker left handed.

I use a mouse right handed which I think is an anomaly. It's likely because when I first used a computer that had a mouse, it was on the right. It does have the advantage I can scribble notes with my left hand while scrolling and clicking with my right.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
To see if I'm just odd, or it's something that others experience.
I'm the same.
Have problems with using a tin opener among other stuff :laugh:
When I used to work as a barista, I had to work from left to right, the rest of the team did the opposite :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Left handed here for most things that need dexterity particularly writing etc. Archery and rifle shooting I do right handed, which may or may not be related to being very slightly right eye dominant. I play badminton etc left handed but I could probably be not much worse playing right handed. I don't play golf and cricket if I can at all avoid it but I'd use the golf bat and cricket racquet right handed. I play pool and snooker left handed.

I use a mouse right handed which I think is an anomaly. It's likely because when I first used a computer that had a mouse, it was on the right. It does have the advantage I can scribble notes with my left hand while scrolling and clicking with my right.

Just to be an awkward cuss my eyes are cross dominant, so I never feel right with a scope (although I perform OKish) but used to do very well indeed with iron sights on rifle or pistol.

Naturally left handed but, following a fall onto broken glass on the evening of January 8th 1983, where I severed nerves and tendons in my left hand, I was left using my right hand almost exclusively for the following 30 months or so.

I developed techniques during that time, such as tying shoe laces with only my non-dominant hand, and today, over 40 years later, am still pretty much ambidextrous as a result .

Top Bottom