Handedness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Surely, Razzle turns you blind so quickly that…….

Confirmed an untruth 😉

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am a lefties as was my mum. When I was growing up there weren't scissors or knives for left handed people, so I had to learn how to use them in my right hand. Now I can't use scissors in my left hand, however I can use a knife in my left or right hand.

Using a Tin opener was a nightmare, as I went backwards as far as everyone else was concerned being a leftie and my home economics teacher hated me as I sew from left to right instead of the other way.

My son hated that I taught my twin grandsons to tie their shoe laces, however I taught them to do it left handed much to my sons annoyance.

Mr WD hates to see me cut meat or anything else as I tend to do it left handed

He thinks I look dangerous

I am right for everything - although I do tend to wind a tin opener the 'wrong' way at times

I have a friend who is mixed - plays (or played) many sports including things like tennis, golf and such - some he played right handed and some left

I also worked for a bloke who was clearly right handed but who did a couple of things - the sort of things men do in private among others - left handed
he always confused people if they challenged him to an arm wrestle as he was quite weak right handed but could beat most people right handed - even left handed people!!!

Ripple

Veteran
I was born left handed but growing up in Soviet Union meant some schools only recognised right handed writing. But being able to switch from right hand to left hand is ... handy. ^_^

Words written using both hands at the same time.

20230509_191320.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was born left handed but growing up in Soviet Union meant some schools only recognised right handed writing. But being able to switch from right hand to left hand is ... handy. ^_^

View attachment 688933 Awesome!
Awesome!

Attachments

• P1050578.JPG
    P1050578.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
Handedness isn't an either/or thing, it's a continuum with varying degrees of left- or right-handed dominance. It's also something that can - to at least some extent - be trained and/or learnt (but not punished into or out of).
I'm from a family of fairly ambidextrous people - a long run of farriers on the male side - and my aunts and uncles were all, to a greater or lesser extent, ambidextrous, as I am. My dad was ambidextrous with a preference - for many things - towards his left hand, as was my aunt (his sister); his older brother was the least ambidextrous, being mainly but not entirely right-handed, and his other brother was fully ambidextrous. Given the generation they were, though, all of them wrote with their right hands as that had been literally beaten into the left-handed-by-preference ones, as it had to my grandfather.
I'm ambidextrous with strong preferences for some things on each side - eg writing and drawing with my right hand, sporting things like bats and racquets with my left side. Cutting with knives with my right hand, sewing, crochet, tatting with my left hand. I can knit several different ways, and backwards. My left eye was always my dominant one, but after my eye surgery, my right eye transitioned to dominance for about 18 months; now the left eye has reasserted itself!

Gwylan

Veteran
Handedness isn't an either/or thing, it's a continuum with varying degrees of left- or right-handed dominance. It's also something that can - to at least some extent - be trained and/or learnt (but not punished into or out of).
I'm from a family of fairly ambidextrous people - a long run of farriers on the male side - and my aunts and uncles were all, to a greater or lesser extent, ambidextrous, as I am. My dad was ambidextrous with a preference - for many things - towards his left hand, as was my aunt (his sister); his older brother was the least ambidextrous, being mainly but not entirely right-handed, and his other brother was fully ambidextrous. Given the generation they were, though, all of them wrote with their right hands as that had been literally beaten into the left-handed-by-preference ones, as it had to my grandfather.
I'm ambidextrous with strong preferences for some things on each side - eg writing and drawing with my right hand, sporting things like bats and racquets with my left side. Cutting with knives with my right hand, sewing, crochet, tatting with my left hand. I can knit several different ways, and backwards. My left eye was always my dominant one, but after my eye surgery, my right eye transitioned to dominance for about 18 months; now the left eye has reasserted itself!

On that basis I'm 70/30 in favour of sinister side.
But sometimes surprise myself when my right hand takes over

classic33

Leg End Member

View attachment 688933
There was a lad in my class at school that could write with both hands, at the same time, without checking what his writing was like. He'd sit there, simply copying from the book in front of him, or from the blackboard

Both left and right hand writing was readable, and between the lines in the exercise books. He thought nothing of it.

Left handed here. Female parental unit also left handed.

Left eyed and left footed too, although I use scissors with my right hand and use a mouse / touchpad with my right hand. Although when I'm working in Photoshop, I will use both hands to edit photos.

Top Bottom