Handedness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm right handed, except for anything involving a two handed grip on a bat, such as cricket, golf or baseball, where I play left handed. How strange......

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Right everything but I learnt to use a computer mouse left-handed because I developed RSI in the right hand back in 2000. Even now, my arm starts to show the signs again (aching and burning in upper arm) after 10 mins' mouse use with the right hand.

Luckily, the left arm doesn't seem as prone to it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I briefly knew someone who was having a 'running battle' with her daughter's school for not taking her daughter's left-handedness seriously enough. The way she talked one would think that being a lefty was an actual physical disability. I thought she was slightly nuts.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I briefly knew someone who was having a 'running battle' with her daughter's school for not taking her daughter's left-handedness seriously enough. The way she talked one would think that being a lefty was an actual physical disability. I thought she was slightly nuts.
I remember the first time ever I was asked, in school, to write at the blackboard.
I started to write with my left hand, the teacher took the chalk away, put it in my right hand.
My handwriting has been atrocious throughout my time at school - we didn't have keyboards back then!
Still now, when I jot something down as a list, often I can't read what I wrote :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I use a mouse right handed which I think is an anomaly. It's likely because when I first used a computer that had a mouse, it was on the right. It does have the advantage I can scribble notes with my left hand while scrolling and clicking with my right.

I am predominantly right handed, right eyed, but left footed and will naturally do certain things left handed without even realising.

Anyway, I learned to use the mouse left handed for precisely the same reason as yours - So I can write things down at the same time.
Too often did I have to stop using the mouse and then go to write - It wasted too much time!

When I used to work as a barista, I had to work from left to right, the rest of the team did the opposite :laugh:

Ah! I never liked to mention, but I always did wonder why my coffee tasted 'funny' when I was at the SECC! 😆

I also worked for a bloke who was clearly right handed but who did a couple of things - the sort of things men do in private among others - left handed

I am curious as to how you found this out! 😆

he always confused people if they challenged him to an arm wrestle as he was quite weak right handed but could beat most people right handed - even left handed people!!

😆

There was a lad in my class at school that could write with both hands, at the same time, without checking what his writing was like. He'd sit there, simply copying from the book in front of him, or from the blackboard

Both left and right hand writing was readable, and between the lines in the exercise books. He thought nothing of it.

I remember learning to write things from a board without looking down to see what I was writing, save for the occasional cursory glance, but nothing like that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Thinking back many, many years to when I was a lad, this was the days when 'phones were the big black chunky things with a cradle that the handset rested on. I must have been using a 'phone left handed back then and thus would put the handset back on the cradle 'left handed'. This would annoy my dad who would then later replace the handset for a right handed user - ! :laugh:
But to me, this made sense, as if I had to write something down during a 'phone call, my right hand was free to use a pen. :okay:

Thinking back many, many years to when I was a lad, this was the days when 'phones were the big black chunky things with a cradle that the handset rested on. I must have been using a 'phone left handed back then and thus would put the handset back on the cradle 'left handed'. This would annoy my dad who would then later replace the handset for a right handed user - ! :laugh:
But to me, this made sense, as if I had to write something down during a 'phone call, my right hand was free to use a pen. :okay:

I always hold a phone left handed - probably due to many years working in an office where it seemed like every IT problem in the whole company resulted in a phone call to me
I had to have a pen and some paper handy to make notes - which required my right hand - hence phone goes in left hand

Phone goes in my left hand too. I'm left eared by default, as I'm partially deaf in my right ear. I can hear noise, but I can't make out what that noise is, or what people are saying.

If I have to make notes while on the phone, I then have to move the phone to my right hand. Actually, if I know I have to take notes, I usually ask people to e-mail me or send me an SMS or something of that ilk.

presta

Guru
I'm right handed, and eat fork left knife right, unless it's something like a curry that needs no knife, in which case I hold the fork in my right hand. What intrigues me is why I find it really difficult to use a fork in my left hand unless I'm holding a knife in the right.

Recently I've found myself using my left hand for the touchpad on the laptop for no apparent reason.

I'll use my left hand for the phone if I need to write, because I never mastered that shrugging your shoulder hold, but it still has to be my right ear.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
because I never mastered that shrugging your shoulder hold,
And this is something my dad had to do when he was using the phone and writing at the same time as he was very right handed. Bearing in mind that the handset then was a fairly weighty thing. Some of us may recall a clip on shoulder rest that was introduced, but it didn't really work that well. :sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
Right handed but I eat left handed. Its great fun at meal times, especially if there's family round. I lay the cutlery as though everyone is left handed. See the fuddlement as each one picks up their cutlery, realises then starts swapping over. For some reason it gives me some childish pleasure seeing it :laugh:

Top Bottom