'Handicap' road racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

If a race is described as this:

Categories: E/1/2/3/4
BC Points: Regional C+
Distance: 30 miles (handicap)

What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that the 4th Cat's go off a minute or so before the 3rd Cat's and so on...
If so - then what happens? Assuming the groups all get passed by the next category, do the 4th Cat's race amongst themselves, just on the same roads or is it a free-for-all, after the headstart has been eaten up?

Cheers

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know, but I'd be a bit nervous having such a wide mix of experience and ability sharing the same stretch of road! :eek:

montage

God Almighty
I believe it is as you say, youths first, then 3rd/4ths, then E12 etc. There might be primes for the 3rds/4th to win (sprints for cash prizes).... but it tends to be first across the line wins, no special dispensations for being 4th cat etc - a free-for-all as you say. At least that is the layout of the handicap races near here that I was considering. the Elites usually win it, not surprisingly, though 30 miles is not far at all.... if you get some strong riders in the lower catagories it may be possible

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers Monty - you have confirmed my suspicions. I suppose the next main question is... How far of a headstart will each Category be afforded? I'll have to do some further investigations before strategy planning can take place :thumbsup:

montage

God Almighty
try to find results/reports of the race in past years. You might as well enter though, it'll give you a race paced workout if nothing else and you can measure yourself against other cat 4s

oldroadman

Veteran
I believe it is as you say, youths first, then 3rd/4ths, then E12 etc. There might be primes for the 3rds/4th to win (sprints for cash prizes).... but it tends to be first across the line wins, no special dispensations for being 4th cat etc - a free-for-all as you say. At least that is the layout of the handicap races near here that I was considering. the Elites usually win it, not surprisingly, though 30 miles is not far at all.... if you get some strong riders in the lower catagories it may be possible

You won't find youth riders (under 16) in there. Not allowed in road races.
The handicap formula is simple, warm up well, start close to 100%, ride properly (through and off at good pace), see what happens, if you get caufght hang on and contribute a little work. From waht I rememer in a 50 km race the gaps front to back will be anything up to 6 minutes, so the scratch riders have to work pretty hard. Although one or two races I have seen the limit lot just amble along and wait to get caught, hoping to sit in. This, happilly, almost never works!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ok, now I'm getting nervous because the event is this Thursday. What kind of extra avg speed do you reckon can be had from sitting in a draft of a bunch? I am hoping for perhaps 3mph or so. Based upon my solo recce of the course last week and recent investigation on Strava, I am going to be toast by the second lap if the group boost isn't considerable. Of course I will do my turns, providing there is a T&O situation...

montage

God Almighty
Ok, now I'm getting nervous because the event is this Thursday. What kind of extra avg speed do you reckon can be had from sitting in a draft of a bunch? I am hoping for perhaps 3mph or so. Based upon my solo recce of the course last week and recent investigation on Strava, I am going to be toast by the second lap if the group boost isn't considerable. Of course I will do my turns, providing there is a T&O situation...

Cat 4 crits often tend to average 22-23mph ish, cat 3 25mph ish, and a cat 2 one I did on saturday was pretty much on 27mph. Rough guide as standards across different regions differ, courses differ and average speeds are not a great indicator of the speed of crits as they tend to be explosive. Also depends who rocks up on the day etc etc. The main difference with higher categories I find is the the speed at which they kick.

I can't put a speed on it, depends how many of you are working... you should be above time trial pace whilst on the front that is for sure. There are three things going through my head in a break:
1. Whilst pulling - "got to bury it"
2. When pulled off the front and back on the paceline "jesus I'm shagged, I can't do another turn"
3. about 10-25 seconds before I am on the front again "actually I feel just about recovered to do one more turn"
...rinse and repeat.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ok, cheers Monty. I am kind of expecting 24-25mph rolling, although it's a RR not a closed circuit crit. Laps, nonetheless of just under 7 miles in length, with a nasty little hill 200m from the line. Should mess up the sprinters if it comes down to a bunch sprint. I don't think it will though.

VamP

Banned
Average speeds are irrelevant really. It's the surges and accelerations, plus inexperience in pack riding that will be your undoing (or not). Only one way to get that experience though, so just go for it! Be predictable and watch out for numpties. Most of all have fun.

Is this one of the SERRL events?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Average speeds are irrelevant really. It's the surges and accelerations, plus inexperience in pack riding that will be your undoing (or not). Only one way to get that experience though, so just go for it! Be predictable and watch out for numpties. Most of all have fun.

Is this one of the SERRL events?

Cheers - My main aim is to stay out of trouble, and try not to finish last. Anything else will be a bonus :smile:

It's a Surrey League Road Race. Part of the Handicap series that run all summer. I think the thing about being predictable is going to be key. I don't want to be one of those guys who is snarled at. Likewise I'll be on the lookout for unreliable wheels and try to keep away from them.

Top Bottom