'Handicap' road racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Very likely! Field is probably going to be full, with 80 riders. I just hope I get there early and get a place because last week folk got turned away. I don't know if any E or 1st Cat will ride but there will deffo be a whole bunch of 2nd and 3rd. It could be a learning experience :whistle:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Very likely! Field is probably going to be full, with 80 riders. I just hope I get there early and get a place because last week folk got turned away. I don't know if any E or 1st Cat will ride but there will deffo be a whole bunch of 2nd and 3rd. It could be a learning experience :whistle:
Hey good luck ducks, post up the Strava route so I can take a peek?!

I thought this looked like a fun entry in to a bit of mamil racing but me thinks it would be a bit much for a noob, might pop up to Palace Park and have a watch though

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

Yes, I am thinking of giving Palace crits a bash at some point but from what I have heard, CP is brutal. It's quite technical and narrow too. I rode round the course there a few months back and it was bad enough having to dodge Grannies walking labradors on a Friday lunchtime, much less 100 nutters on road bikes. Infact the Info page at RiderHQ for the Paragon Crits mentions that is is for folk who have raced before... so prob worth going to watch as you mentioned and maybe ask one of the organisers?

The course Tomorrow is down by Charlwood and I have ridden the roads round there regularly but not the entire lap. So I did a recce on Thurs - you can see the loop about half way into this Strava ride, starts by Horley the goes uphill, over towards Norwood Hill then down into Charlwood and through to Povey Cross...

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Yeah I read that bit too, the 17 mile course appealed also it looked like the Cat 4 & 3 Raced separately..

Looks not bad a course as you say depends on how good the Cat 4's are, your first race?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yes my first race, so I am expecting to get shelled out of the back half way round the first lap. At least I know another bunch will soon be along, in the form of 3rd Cats, so maybe chance for a tow - for about 2 minutes anway before getting dropped again.

My understanding of Palace is that all groups are going round the same (fairly short and tight) circuit at the same time and the respective groups finish on a different set of laps. It's a bit up and down there too, so will be difficult to stay together but safe, I would think.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well that was knackering! :heat:

Didn't finish last and didn't crash, so fairly happy. Our group got caught by the next two groups on the road right on the hill (bell lap) and the 3 of us got shelled out of the back and struggled to stay in touch, on the final lap. Very hard going and I was a little dissapointed that I blew up a bit tackling the short hill at the bell. A few came in after me and some were DNF, not sure of my placing but guessing something like 65th or so... time will tell.

Strava link here

Well that was knackering! :heat:

Didn't finish last and didn't crash, so fairly happy. Our group got caught by the next two groups on the road right on the hill (bell lap) and the 3 of us got shelled out of the back and struggled to stay in touch, on the final lap. Very hard going and I was a little dissapointed that I blew up a bit tackling the short hill at the bell. A few came in after me and some were DNF, not sure of my placing but guessing something like 65th or so... time will tell.

Strava link here

Holy crap, you averaged 23.something mph. That's god territory to me, good work.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hah - cheers but mainly through doing an organised chaingang for 3 laps worth. Some tactical errors made but it's all a good learning experience!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
That not too shabby, I bet it is a lot about tactics as well as stamina/speed.

Definitely. A game of deceit, I reckon... have to make it look like you are doing as much work as possible while actually doing as little as you can get away with. I made some bad judgments and found myself off the front of our group more than once on the first 2 laps. The energy expended cost me dear, in the end. Oh well, all good fun!

Top Bottom