'Handicap' road racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's more of a continually rotating pair of lines. The right one being faster and when the rider gets to the front of the line they swing across to the left line and come of the gas very slightly. When the rider reaches the back of the left line they swing across to the right line and pick up the pace again.

oldroadman

Veteran
From what i've seen of the racing there is two ways they do it. What i call defensively, where the lead rider drops off and joins the back of the group or what i see as the more offensive option where the back rider accelerates to the front of the group to take their turn. I might have it all wrong but if i haven't good work on taking the harder option. Rule 5 compliant.

A bit, coming fast from the rear is only for attacks, you never do this unless you want to attack and split the group simply because they are not working well, it's too big, a sort-out is needed, you are on a wide road and about to join a narrow section where it's safer at the front. In a working group it's simply efficient to have the "up" line rolling past the "down" line, and which side that is depends on wind direction, so if there is a strong sidewind it naturally drops into echelon, always moving froward into the wind and coming back down protected. Much easier to do or see in a diagram than describe!

A bit, coming fast from the rear is only for attacks, you never do this unless you want to attack and split the group simply because they are not working well, it's too big, a sort-out is needed, you are on a wide road and about to join a narrow section where it's safer at the front. In a working group it's simply efficient to have the "up" line rolling past the "down" line, and which side that is depends on wind direction, so if there is a strong sidewind it naturally drops into echelon, always moving froward into the wind and coming back down protected. Much easier to do or see in a diagram than describe!

I think you described it pretty well, cheers fella.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbqZCrqV_wE

Diagram/animation: Like this but instead of 1 rider going backwards, a whole line are.

BicycleChainGangAnimation.gif

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
My second race is happening tomorrow evening, as part of the same series. Providing I feel ok on the day, I plan on riding and getting more experience. Must remember not to hammer it on the front and only do what I am required to do and nothing more. Shorter laps of just under 3 miles in this course and it's pan flat. Will suit the sprinters, so I am hoping that if (by some act of God) I get in the first group and we are able to stay away that there is a break in the last couple of laps - that ideally I will get into :whistle:

In reality I will most likely get my legs ripped off by lap #6 and the 2nd Cats will be through us well before the final lap or two!

montage

God Almighty
Are there any non-handicap races near you that you can enter?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Only available ones in the Surrey League (for 4th Cat) are closed circuit crits, or the Handicap series. If I ever make 3rd Cat then it opens up more possibilities, such as the longer weekend road races. Having marshalled at one of those it made me feel utterly drained just watching them. 60 - 70 miles is quite a long way to have to ride at such intensities. I thought about one of the circuit races but two things are putting me off: 1) Reports of bad riding and smash-ups 2) Not very easy for me to get to the venues (apart from Palace).

I think that the Handicap series is probably a good place to learn because being in the same field as lots of good riders will afford the opportunity to observe and pickup some tips :tongue:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry Rich - but you can kiss goodbye to another tenner :smile:

Excellent fun this evening and did as well as I could have hoped for. My gameplan went out of the window (again) on lap #1, as I had told myself to be disciplined and not do much work, save the legs for the later stages etc. So there's a 3 man break that goes half way round the first lap and guess who's in it :rolleyes: (technically it was a 2 man break and I rode across the gap). Our trio stayed away for a couple of laps or so before the remains of our assigned group reeled us in. We managed relatively decent through and off for the next 5 or 6 laps with only 1 or 2 passengers. It was the penultimate lap before we were caught by a massive peloton. Last 2 laps were really good fun and it was class being sucked along in a group of about 40 - 50 riders. Dunno about final position but finished somewhere in the main bunch and went past a few at the line. Perhaps 30-40 position, out of 60, at a guess...

VamP

Banned
Cyclopark in Kent, Hogg's Hill in Redbridge and Hillingdon in urm, Hillingdon are your best bets if you want to start earning some points.

There's the odd 3/4 cat road race, my Club is holding one this Sunday (Ashwell Primavera) and the Elveden Race series is an interesting addition this year, being a private road circuit around 3.7 miles, next race on June 8th.

I also do MK Bowl, and Lotus Hethel track mid week races, but those are a bit far from you.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah - I will probably try a 4th Cat only crit, at Cyclopark at some point. It's difficult for me to get to at the moment though and I am fearful of smash-ups on the closed circuit races. Last night was good fun and I'm not too bothered about picking up BC points, initially. Another option is Palace on a Tuesday night but I want to get more race experience before trying that, as it's very tight.

There are a couple of other options later in the year but for now I will stick to the handicaps and maybe the odd 10 mile TT :thumbsup:

Cheers

Top Bottom