Handle Bar Grips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

The only cure is to remove the screws and replace them, Oh and replace the Allen Key that rounded them out. There is a bodge which is carefully hacksaw a slot in the head and tighten em up with a screwdriver but that takes a bit of skill.
but how do i remove the screw, if i can't unscrew it

raleighnut

Legendary Member
but how do i remove the screw, if i can't unscrew it
Try hammering a slightly bigger allen key in or an appropriately sized Torx bit,

1601037156827.png

EDIT Gawd that's a big picture

D

Deleted member 23692

Most grips bolts are made in the far east from chrome plated cheese and round out very easily as you've found. They only need snugging up and not doing too tight.

As above you're best knocking a Torx bit into the hex recess, and carefully undoing it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have recently got new Lock On Grips, and when i put them on, they didn't go all the way on, as the brakes were there. So i had to slide those along, but then i went to unscrew the grips to push them on properly, and looks as though they have almost rounded off, as when i try to unscrew them, they allen key just slides around. Anyone know what to do in this situation?

You may have wrecked the head on the allen bolt. You have a problem.

If you have to hacksaw the bolt in half, you'll be stuck as I suspect you don't have spares. Try what's been suggested below. If you are completely stuck and the bolt is wrecked, so long as you can get them off, I may have some suitable alloy collars with bolts that should fit. I've just replaced my SRAM grips, but kept the collar's just in case. Which grips did you go with ?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

You may have wrecked the head on the allen bolt. You have a problem.

If you have to hacksaw the bolt in half, you'll be stuck as I suspect you don't have spares. Try what's been suggested below. If you are completely stuck and the bolt is wrecked, so long as you can get them off, I may have some suitable alloy collars with bolts that should fit. I've just replaced my SRAM grips, but kept the collar's just in case. Which grips did you go with ?
Sorry i am not too sure off the make, but they are just some fairly cheap Black Grips from Amazon for £9. They are sold by MTBitz

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes they are the exact ones
Hope you got the Pink ones :becool:

Top Bottom