Handle bar Height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
How high should the handlebars be relative to the saddle, for comfort on a Hybrid bike?

That would be different for most people.

Reactions: mjr

RichardB

Slightly retro
Although the above answers are true, a good starting point would be to have the top of the stem roughly level with the saddle. With that, flat bars will have you leaning forward slightly and riser bars will put you more upright. I have found that the fitter you get and the more miles you put in, the lower you want the bars. But comfort is a very personal thing, and you can only experiment until you find a height that suits you.

Can handle bars actually be adjusted in respect of how high/low they go? I always thought they were kind of fixed with the bike frame design. Mine will sort of swivel/rotate towards me which raises them just slighly, maybe 20/30 mm

...you can really get elevated by using riser stems, adjustable stems and swept back bars - many choices to achieve that comfort sweet spot....:smile:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhXW9KZWuYlEUP0WQBUGyUlDMO7UmMbj-nJz6F3eqxzXtY_my6kA.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXQVWb5_mS7Ej7Y4CoGeVRxieTqtUKJjCaBW9NinIXACPsy5E7Gw.jpg
31WY3hVzQdL._SX425_.jpg

Can handle bars actually be adjusted in respect of how high/low they go? I always thought they were kind of fixed with the bike frame design.
On cheap bikes with old fashioned Quill-stems, you can adjust stem height within the steerer tube.
With modern threadless steerers, you have some adjustment by shifting spacers above or below the stem, if the steerer is left long enough. Once you run out of spacer adjustment you can flip a stem to reverse the rise. If you need more adjustment have to change stems, which come in different rise as well as length. Adjustable stems are one solution but are heavier and not as strong as plain ones.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom