Handle bars and stem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I probably have a standard clamp stem spare but your best to sort your bar out 1st as i could send you it and you could end up with an OS bar
What is the difference between an oversized and a standard? - can you pick either or does the frame of the bike dictate it?

si_c

Guru
What is the difference between an oversized and a standard? - can you pick either or does the frame of the bike dictate it?
I think it's probably worth you checking.

A standard clamp is a 25.4mm diameter handlebar, oversized is typically 31.8mm. To confuse matters however 31.8mm is more common now than 25.4 on modern bikes. You also have 35mm, but that's largely restricted to mountain bikes.

Nonsense.
The OP is looking into narrower bars, that and the shorter stem will make
most bikes more sensitive, I put on a 12mm shorter stem and the bike needs
to be kept an eye on it now, where as before you could be less concerned
about overdoing it with too much input on the bars.

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP isn't yet used to the stem length, she's uncomfortable on the bike, unable to grip the brakes with confidence and has locked elbows and a sore neck which would suggest that all is not right with the reach :smile:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
T

Try putting the 70mm stem on the 110 bike, that will waken it up.
It would be pointless as all my bikes have been set up with the same bike fit ,it has a 70 as it's my MTB conversion which gives me the same as my road bikes and riding I feel no difference.anyway steering is mostly leaning not turning.
Back to the original request does the op have the know how of how to change bars ? Lot of recabling etc ,I would change the stem 1st and see how it works

vickster

Legendary Member
It would be pointless as all my bikes have been set up with the same bike fit ,it has a 70 as it's my MTB conversion which gives me the same as my road bikes and riding I feel no difference.anyway steering is mostly leaning not turning.
Back to the original request does the op have the know how of how to change bars ? Lot of recabling etc ,I would change the stem 1st and see how it works
I think it's unlikely but she has been suggested a bike coop in the other thread where she could get some help and a reasonable price

12boy

Guru
Bike coops are a great idea. Many have repair classes and/or lots of spare parts for very little. You can also learn what tools are most useful to have and how to use them. Basic repair stuff can be done cheaply and easily by yourself and the tool cost can offset by what the LBS charges.

Top Bottom