handle bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SonofSid

Hello,
Newbie roped into LEJOG hoping for some advice... Have been told drop handle bars are often best for distance riding as they allow changes in hand position to avoid aches.
2 questions - does that fit people's experience, because it means a new bike! Or is there anything I could do to my flat handle bar hybrid? Prompted to ask as I saw a weird looking, almost figure of 8, handle bar on an expensive looking bike going past my house today.
I suppose a related question is what to look for in a bike for a supported ride i.e. I won't need to carry tents etc this time, but who knows, might well want to in the future....
Many thanks in advance,
Cheers.

samid

Veteran
FWIW: drop bars being best for long time comfort does fit my experience. As an alternative, you could try fitting bar ends on your flat (I'm assuming) bars - you'll have an extra position then, not drop bars but something.

(The figure 8 bars you saw are probably what is called "butterfly bars" - never used them but if you google you'll get many hits.)

Norm

I've found drops to allow more comfort over a distance, although I haven't found that big an issue with flat bars over 7/8 hours. The drops allows you some respite from head wind, though.

Can you change your hybrid? Depends what your hybrid is. Some are road bikes with flats, some are MTB's without suspension. This is why I don't like the word hybrid, it means nothing useful outside a marketing department. Switching to drops might (depending on your bike and components) require a change in gear and brake levers, possibly even a change in brake types.

Butterfly bars might help give extra positions, but I have no experience. Drop MacB a PM if he doesn't show his head here, though, as I reckon he's the in-house man in the know on those. :smile:

Anthony

I would recommend using drop handle bars for something like LeJog. They will definetly give you more hand positions. When I did LeJog I had drops and my hands were fine, but my friend who had a flat bar complained of numb hands.

I don't know what your current bike is like, but if all you want is new handle bars don't bother buying a new bike, just replace the handle bars.

Also, I now use butterfly bars on my bike. They offer even more hand positions than drops. Some people don't like them though (probably because they are 'uncool' :smile: ).

Having used butterfly bars on my last few big trips, I wouldn't go back to drops in a hurry. Touring, I found I hardly ever used the bottom bit of the drops. I guess they may be quite good for the sprint finish on the last day though.

Anthony

Creamcrackered said:
Having used butterfly bars on my last few big trips, I wouldn't go back to drops in a hurry. Touring, I found I hardly ever used the bottom bit of the drops. I guess they may be quite good for the sprint finish on the last day though.

Thats one of the reasons I changed to butterflies from drops. I found I hardly ever used the actual drops. I wouldn't go back now either.

Bandini

Creamcrackered said:

+1 for butterfly bars.

Bloody hell - all the butterfly bar boys are coming out of the wood work! I usually get stick! Is this the Beaumont effect??

aberal

Veteran
Drops are the thing if you are anticipating headwinds.

Penfold

Bandini said:
+1 for butterfly bars.

Bloody hell - all the butterfly bar boys are coming out of the wood work! I usually get stick! Is this the Beaumont effect??

Just checked mine again and they do have a slight wiff of Cuprinol. ;)

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks for all the advice. Stuck some cheap 'ski' bar ends (think that's what they were called - bend up a bit at the end) on today and they're fantastic. Can shift hands for comfort but can also get down low out the wind and seemed to be stronger up hills in that position. Felt like I could drive down more easily.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
What do you guys witht he butterfly bars use to wrap them?
I have tried Foam (worse then rubbish) Mark Beaumonts ride seems to have a black rubber cover but i have been unable to find that material in any stores.

Sparkyman

Anthony

sparkyman said:
What do you guys witht he butterfly bars use to wrap them?
I have tried Foam (worse then rubbish) Mark Beaumonts ride seems to have a black rubber cover but i have been unable to find that material in any stores.
Sparkyman

What do you find rubbish about foam grips?

I have foam on my new butterfly bars and I have been impressed with the grip. Although I have yet to ride with them in heavy rain.

I tried looking for a grip like Beaumonts but couldn't find it anywhere.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Anthony said:
What do you find rubbish about foam grips?

I have foam on my new butterfly bars and I have been impressed with the grip. Although I have yet to ride with them in heavy rain.

I tried looking for a grip like Beaumonts but couldn't find it anywhere.

They are too soft, need to be firmer and less like a sponge.

Sparkyman

Top Bottom