Handlebar bag advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
My touring bike has narrow handlebars so I don't have much room for lots of attachments.

From what I have researched so far it's the size of the mount rather than the bag that seems to take up most of the room so I'm looking for something with a smaller mount as well.

I generally like to have my keys, wallet, phone, passport and possibly a camera to store in front of me.

Any suggestions for a compact handlebar bag?

Thanks.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
The Ortlieb compact handlebar bar should fit your purpose.

snorri

Legendary Member
IME it would be best to try before you buy.
It can be quite tricky fitting the clamp and getting the bag in place between the curves of the 'bars without fouling the gear and brake cables:smile:.

robing

Über Member
ToPeak Compact Handlebar bag is what you need. It has a waist strap so converts to a bum bag. It's one of my favourite bits of kit. It is very small though. Mine fits phone, passport, wallet, mp3 poss not a camera unless it's a small one.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
ToPeak Compact Handlebar bag is what you need. It has a waist strap so converts to a bum bag. It's one of my favourite bits of kit. It is very small though. Mine fits phone, passport, wallet, mp3 poss not a camera unless it's a small one.
Thanks. What sort of mounting does it come with; velcro, straps or one of those big plastic click and fix things?

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
IME it would be best to try before you buy.
It can be quite tricky fitting the clamp and getting the bag in place between the curves of the 'bars without fouling the gear and brake cables:smile:.
Agreed, that's what I'm worried about.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This:
https://www.acycles.co.uk/klickfix-...ag-4386.html?gclid=CNrNpPDRv9ACFQIW0wodTFADHA
I have one myself. It uses the Rixen/Kaul Klickfix system. Holds (in my case) a mini pump, mobile phone, camera, 3 or 4 energy bars, wallet etc. At a push I can also cram my bike lock in there too. I found that larger bar bags hindered the cables from my drops. I use it in conjunction with one of these, which gives you extra bar space to mount computers, phones or other items behind the bag:
https://www.evanscycles.com/rixen-kaul-klickfix-multi-clip-plus-EV187521.
11 Ready to roll.JPG 46.JPG
I can recommend both.
Cheers, Donger.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
This:
https://www.acycles.co.uk/klickfix-...ag-4386.html?gclid=CNrNpPDRv9ACFQIW0wodTFADHA
I have one myself. It uses the Rixen/Kaul Klickfix system. Holds (in my case) a mini pump, mobile phone, camera, 3 or 4 energy bars, wallet etc. At a push I can also cram my bike lock in there too. I found that larger bar bags hindered the cables from my drops. I use it in conjunction with one of these, which gives you extra bar space to mount computers, phones or other items behind the bag:
https://www.evanscycles.com/rixen-kaul-klickfix-multi-clip-plus-EV187521.
View attachment 354289 View attachment 354290
I can recommend both.
Cheers, Donger.
Thanks, the bag looks perfect size but I'm struggling with the mount it comes with. I think I'm going to have to rely on velcro or straps.

robing

Über Member
Thanks. What sort of mounting does it come with; velcro, straps or one of those big plastic click and fix things?
Plastic click and fix. Much better than velcro. You can angle it up so it will be clear of any cables.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
On my expedition bike I used a Klicfix bracket with an extention piece to push it further from the bars to clear the brake levers and then drilled small holes in the extender to pass the gear cables through, (I'm using thumb shifters for simplicity on the bike) pretty fiddly to get it right but it works a treat now.

Bikeman27

My touring bike has narrow handlebars so I don't have much room for lots of attachments.

From what I have researched so far it's the size of the mount rather than the bag that seems to take up most of the room so I'm looking for something with a smaller mount as well.

I generally like to have my keys, wallet, phone, passport and possibly a camera to store in front of me.

Any suggestions for a compact handlebar bag?

Thanks.
Hi I would go for the Carradice Keswick Handlebar bag, nice and compact, quick release system, shoulder strap.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I sometimes use a triple bar bag that straddles the bar and stem. There's a small insulated pocket in front of the bar and two double-phone size pockets behind the bar, one each side of the stem. This means the farking thing doesn't keep trying to rotate forwards, so you can just put it on and ride if in a rush, although it's more secure with the Velcro straps done up. It can also be a top tube mini pannier if the handlebars are occupied.

When I don't need that much space, I use an old bum bag which I strap around the steerer top with the bag nearest me upside down, then flip it over the bars so it's a mini bar bag secured under the stem.

Top Bottom