Handlebar width, centre-to-centre or edge-to-edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
There are two sensible ways of measuring the width of drop handlebars - from the centre of the bars on each drop, or from the outer edge of the bars at the drops. Either would do, but they are not the same.

Wouldn't life be easier if all manufacturers could agree on the same way of measuring them? I wanted to replace some bars that were clearly marked as '42cm', and ordered a 42cm set from Deda. On arrival, the Deda set is approximately 2cm narrower than the old ones, because Deda measure edge to edge, and others centre-to-centre.

That is my moan. Pay careful attention when buying these things.

Reactions: mjr
Yes, I fell for that, when I specced my CGR

I too wanted 42cm, but ordered the DEDA (to save a few ££, after getting Hydraulic discs), & on arrival they felt a bit odd
Yes.............. 42cm outer-outer

5 of my bikes are on 42 'c-c'
Only the oldest one, & the CGR differ
I'll doubtless replace them. the first time the bar tape gets damaged

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
And yet, people keep buying them and don't return them for refund, so it continues, like the strange frame-sizing habits now.
Not me, it's going back to a well-known on-line retailer as we speak.
Part of the trouble is too that it can sometimes take quite a bit of small-print searching on manufacturers' own websites to find this information.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
How crucial is bar width?

My new Felt VR50 has bar total width about 2 cm wider than my previous bike.

Felt a bit strange initially but getting used to them now .

vickster

Legendary Member
How crucial is bar width?

My new Felt VR50 has bar total width about 2 cm wider than my previous bike.

Felt a bit strange initially but getting used to them now .
Personally I find it quite important. 38cm feels too narrow (I do have on two bikes), 42cm is too wide and gives me De Quervains tendinitis. 40cm (C-C) is good and has my wrists at a comfortable angle

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just had a look ,my guess was right old bike had 42cm centers new bike 44 cms centers . I don't think its going to be a problem ,just different.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom