Handlebars got nicked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thowson1

I got unlucky - had the seat and handlebars nicked from my Trek 7.3 Hyrbrid.

The question is, as I'm thinking of investing in a superior road bike, do I replace the handlebars on this, or is there a way to sell what remains of this sad machine? I've attached an image, for reference

As a relatively casual cyclist, any advice from this community would be really appreciated :smile:

Attachments

• 80cac794-a39b-4d99-8f70-b092abe9391f.JPG
    80cac794-a39b-4d99-8f70-b092abe9391f.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 34

Globalti

Legendary Member
My God there are some scum around.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've heard of the seat being stolen if it's quick release... but handlebars too! :wacko:

[edit] if you're thinking of flogging it... where abouts in the country are you?

Replace them. It’ll put off many which will drop the price. Those that are interested will want it to drop in price more than the cost of replacement. Just be mindful of what you replace them with- get the price right.

It looks like your brakes have gone as well, I mean the calipers. Quite a lot to replace there, shifters and brake levers, grips, handlebar, calipers, various cables and seatpost and stem. I would price that lot up against a new bike or look on ebay for a donor bike. Must have taken them a bit of time that.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you buy a 'superior road bike' then the same could happen to that too. If you want a road biek for leisure then I would treat the two separately, fix the commuter (with appropriate security) and then get a road bike for leisure.

si_c

Guru
That sucks. Looks like you need new shifters, brake levers, handlebars, grips, stem, seatpost, saddle and cables. Depending on what you need I reckon that could easily be around or even north of the £200 mark. If you're thinking of getting a new bike my feeling is that you are initially better off putting that money towards that rather than rebuilding that bike. You can always keep what's there and set it up as a winter bike later or strip it for parts and sell piecemeal which might give better VFM.

If you go for a rebuild or another bike, check out Hexlox

And I forgot to say that sucks, mucho sympathy.

tom73

Guru
Boy that sucks you can't make it up. Price up what need's doing and shop around or like others have said hold onto and fit it up later for around use when not using your new bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bad luck!

I would sell the remaining parts separately and buy the new bike.

I'm surprised that they didn't take the wheels too. I always put my d-lock through the frame and one of the wheels.

OP
OP
T

thowson1

It looks like your brakes have gone as well, I mean the calipers. Quite a lot to replace their, shifters and brake levers, grips, handlebar, calipers, various cables and seatpost and stem. I would price that lot up against a new bike or look on ebay for a donor bike. Must have taken them a bit of time that.

It's got disc brakes, but yes there is a lot to replace. Quite overwhelming for a rookie like me!

vickster

Legendary Member
Bummer.
Ask nicely in the wanted section to see if someone may have serviceable parts knocking about in their shed that they would sell on. You need to know the spec of the post and bars

(You may need a few more posts to be able to ask)

Top Bottom