Handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Infuriating as it might be, I am completely new to cycling :laugh: (but not to forums by any means).
I currently have a Ridgeback MX2 (not this season's one), and naturally it has flat handlebars. I don't do much serious offroad cycling, mostly busy London streets, but I like and appreciate the offroad capability that the bike has.
On the other hand, I don't necessarily like sitting right up there with those flat bars, and have 'enjoyed' (if that's the right word) using bikes with drop bars in terms of the ergonomics of speed it offers.
I have hardly anything in terms of money, but I was wondering about getting drop style handlebars for my lowly bike. Is it even possible in a MTB type bike like the MX2? Also, would I have to get new brakes etc or just adjust their position on the new bars?

TIA,

JM

papercorn2000

You could physically fit the bars but you would need road specific brake levers - depending on the type, you could mount the gear shifters on the drop bars next to the stem clamp. You also need to watch if you have v-brakes as the levers need to pull a bit more than a road lever does. It can be bodged but it is far from satisfactory.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
papercorn2000 said:
You could physically fit the bars but you would need road specific brake levers - depending on the type, you could mount the gear shifters on the drop bars next to the stem clamp. You also need to watch if you have v-brakes as the levers need to pull a bit more than a road lever does. It can be bodged but it is far from satisfactory.

Interesting, thanks. Not sure I could move the gear shifters, seem to be attached to the brake levers, and also they are 'two-paddle' if that makes sense, which would be hard to operate on the stem...Would it be ridiculous to have them on the side with the brake levers?
I know that it would indeed be a joke in terms of 'satisfcatoriness', but so would buying a road-bike in terms of my bank balance...although if safety risks come into play then obviously I'll go no further.

domtyler

Über Member
Yes it can be done, and no, with the right kit it does not have to be unsatisfactory either. I have been running a On-One Mungo bar (wide angle drops) with the Diacompe V Brake levers and they work as well as any other set up.

I have now swapped these out for some new butterfly bars though and am much happier.

Top Bottom