Handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rebelpeter

I have just bought an as new Viking racing bike but the handlebars i need to be higher.

There is a top plate with ine allen key holding it on. Then the handlebars is held with two sideways allen keys.

Below this i can c what looks like three spacers, can someone tell me if i need to add more spacers and if so in simple terms please how do i do this, in step by step simple terms.

It looks like there r three spacers is there any more or can i buy more spacers, if so are they all standard size .

You can only add more spacers below if there are any sitting above it to move.

You may be able to lift the handlebars higher though by 'flipping the stem' - I. E. Turning the stem that holds the bars to the steering post the other way up - of course, if this is already in the higher position flipping it may lower them further...

Drago

Legendary Member
You can't raise it any higher if the spacers are already under the stem clamp. You may get a slight raise from flipping the stem.

Bottom line, your bike doesn't fit you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It could also be the OP is not used to a road bike position :smile:
If a flipped stem is still to low you can get riser stems that make them higher
upload_2015-3-16_15-57-11.jpeg

Dave7

Legendary Member
It could also be the OP is not used to a road bike position :smile:
If a flipped stem is still to low you can get riser stems that make them higher
View attachment 82690

A friend of mine had/has exactly the same problem and he has purchased one of these adjustable stems...........it both raises the height and shortens the reach. It has definitely improved his riding position.
As Drago points out...........your bike (and my friends bike) are the wrong size.
He is new to cycling and purchased it 2nd hand. My advice to him was.........use it for a few months and see if you really "get into" cycling. If so then sell that one and buy one the right size.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

You can only add more spacers below if there are any sitting above it to move.

You may be able to lift the handlebars higher though by 'flipping the stem' - I. E. Turning the stem that holds the bars to the steering post the other way up - of course, if this is already in the higher position flipping it may lower them further...[/QUOTE

I see what u mean by flipping and ill give it a try thanks...

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

You can't raise it any higher if the spacers are already under the stem clamp. You may get a slight raise from flipping the stem.

Bottom line, your bike doesn't fit you.

Thanks the bike fits well i just like an inch or two higher bars, i boughtbtwo as new Vikings in a boot sale
Nice bikes and for ,£45 each sure is a great buy i have others Trek etc but these two was so cheap had
To have them nice colours too.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

A friend of mine had/has exactly the same problem and he has purchased one of these adjustable stems...........it both raises the height and shortens the reach. It has definitely improved his riding position.
As Drago points out...........your bike (and my friends bike) are the wrong size.
He is new to cycling and purchased it 2nd hand. My advice to him was.........use it for a few months and see if you really "get into" cycling. If so then sell that one and buy one the right size.

Both are the right size just like bars a bit higher great buys at the price also bought a Trike 26". Wheels with 18 gears in excellent condition got it for £85 lovely trike i already have anotjer one but at this price had to get this new edition the other ones got 28” wheels, i do like trike riding as well as the two legged racers.... Thanks

RedRider

Pulling through
You probably know this but when removing and re-fitting the stem just make sure you do it in the correct order. To remove, unscrew the 'top cap' from the steerer tube and only then loosen the clamping bolts on theside of the stem. To re-fit, again screw the top cap first before tightening the clamping bolts. If I've got that wrong I reckon someone will be along soon enough to say so.
The top cap bolt needs to be tight enough but not too tight. ie not that tight at all. There's youtube vids.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'd recommend not using an adjustable stem. After a while, they start to become loose. I use a non-adjustable 35° stem, and have no problems with it.

Top Bottom