Handmaids tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
WTF is this all about? My wife watches it, i ask whats it all about, she says you have to watch it, i try but i don't get it. is it a women thing?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
WTF is this all about? My wife watches it, i ask whats it all about, she says you have to watch it, i try but i don't get it. is it a women thing?
I haven't watched any of them but it looks like a Protestant Stepford Wives to me. Better to read the book: Atwood's a great writer, I reckon

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
This came up when I Googled:-

Based on the best-selling novel by Margaret Atwood, this series is set in Gilead, a totalitarian society in what used to be part of the United States. Gilead is ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state, and is faced with environmental disasters and a plummeting birth rate. In a desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world, the few remaining fertile women are forced into sexual servitude. One of these women, Offred, is determined to survive the terrifying world she lives in, and find the daughter that was taken from her.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I haven't read the book. The first series and, I think, part of the second was based on the book. The first series was very good, the second not so good and I've only vaguely caught snatches of the third - I read the paper while Mrs P watches. As is happening right now!!

My feeling is this; the first series based on the book was excellent. The second and third suffer from being American TV. My overall impression of American TV is when a hit series is discovered the writers then pull every trick in the book to extend to 4,5,6 series simply to flog advertising. The end result is excellent series then degenerate in to the crap that is the bulk of American TV.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
After reading about it and watching a few clips on YouTube strikes me as a kind of 1984 meets RoboCop for feminists. Looks Interesting though.

I haven't read the book. The first series and, I think, part of the second was based on the book. The first series was very good, the second not so good and I've only vaguely caught snatches of the third - I read the paper while Mrs P watches. As is happening right now!!

My feeling is this; the first series based on the book was excellent. The second and third suffer from being American TV. My overall impression of American TV is when a hit series is discovered the writers then pull every trick in the book to extend to 4,5,6 series simply to flog advertising. The end result is excellent series then degenerate in to the crap that is the bulk of American TV.

This is spot on. A great story from a great book just turned into a long-running drama.

They must be paying Margaret Atwood a lot to get her to support it.

If you've only watched the current series I don't blame you. The whole series is a bit like a TDF stage in reverse, with all the interesting stuff taking place at the beginning and turning into a procession at the end.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Half way through season 2 at the moment and I think it's tremendous.

My favourite line - "Men worry that women will laugh at them. Women worry that men will kill them"

Top Bottom