Hands going numb on rides road and MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Why do I keep getting pins and needles or complete numbness in my hands whilst cycling? I always have the best bar tape or grips.
If it doesn't stop I'll have to pack in cycling.

Tim Hall

Or get a recumbent.

But before that take a look at your position. Possibly raise the bars a bit (easy with a quill stem, not so easy with a threadless stem), to change your weight distribution. I find padded mitts also help. Does your job involve power tools and Hand Arm Vibration?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Or get a recumbent.

But before that take a look at your position. Possibly raise the bars a bit (easy with a quill stem, not so easy with a threadless stem), to change your weight distribution. I find padded mitts also help. Does your job involve power tools and Hand Arm Vibration?
Occasionally use power tools such as grinders.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Have you tried using different hand positions when using drop handlebars? Are putting your weight onto the front instead of the saddle?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Try these handy hints:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...he-Experts--Hand-and-wrist-pain-on-the-bike-0

EDIT to add: Nearly forgot, but on my hybrid I've fitted some bar ends to give me more variety with hand positions. :okay:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What this lot say. I tend to get numb hands on the MTB if I'm not MTB'ing - i.e. smooth surfaces. It's often the lack of hand positions. I'm fine on the rough stuff as you tend to be moving about the bike more. I don't have issues on my road bikes because of the extra positions.

What type of bike is it - hybrid/flat bars or road bike with curved bars ?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
What this lot say. I tend to get numb hands on the MTB if I'm not MTB'ing - i.e. smooth surfaces. It's often the lack of hand positions. I'm fine on the rough stuff as you tend to be moving about the bike more. I don't have issues on my road bikes because of the extra positions.

What type of bike is it - hybrid/flat bars or road bike with curved bars ?
Curved on road. Doesn't happen on MTB as much.

MikeG

Guru
I used to suffer from this in both hands. A year or 18 months back I had a carpal tunnel operation on my right hand, and now suffer only in my left hand. So, in my case, it is fairly clear that carpal tunnel constriction is the cause, not the neck/ shoulder problems I had always thought. As with any medical advice online, take this, and everyone else's, with a huge pinch of salt and get a doctor to have a look.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A year or 18 months back I had a carpal tunnel operation on my right hand, and now suffer only in my left hand. So, in my case, it is fairly clear that carpal tunnel constriction is the cause, not the neck/ shoulder problems I had always thought.
You know what the problem was, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you know what caused it.

Top Bottom